Drysuit Burnout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rimp

Contributor
Reaction score
Sliding down those bannisters can leave a nasty burn mark on your ***. :wink:

Seriously though.. my buddy and I have been researching drysuits recently and we are having serious burnout syndrome from all the choices and the lack of direction.

We started out thinking of getting something cheap, then wanted to add some suspenders.. keep the suit light (shell), then we added dry gloves, undergarments, hood, pockets. We wanted some color options (instead of all black), then we wanted the better fabric (keep away from bilam some people said) so opted for the quadflex or trilam.. then we added custom sizing to prevent balloon legs from floating us out to sea... cripes.. were hovering around the 2k mark (Canadian money).. Thats alot of money for a freakin bag no? and it's not even a DUI !!!! god help us !!

Ok, so we backtrack.. lets go with crushed 2mm... save a few hundred...

Ok so we go 4mm... another hundred saved..

7mm another few hundred off...

Now were back to considering a dry 7mm wetsuit.. nothing light about that except the price... Why have 7mm on a freakin drysuit??

Sheeee-it.. what are we to do?

This is torture..

Someone please sell us 2 DUI shell suits with undergarments for $1K Canadian please. Thank you.

:crafty:

2 DUI shell suits for under $1K, Canadian in fact. I think this post belongs in the "Scuba Humor" forum instead.

Anyways, DUI does sell a few suits, the TLS-SE and CN-SE that come in for around $900- or so (US funds) each, undergarments would be extra of course. Other than that, you're looking at 7mm neoprene drysuits, where you wouldn't need undergarments anyways.

I'm a baby about being cold, I saved up my pennies and bought a DUI TLS-350, now I'm completely happy about getting in 50 degree water.

Mel

Since you're in Canada, you might want to contact Dan's Dive Shop. They could probably hool you up with DUI suits, UGs, and dry gloves if you want them for a discount if you're buying two sets...

I so know what you're talking about. I'm going through the same thing exactly. I've decided on the Bare Nex-gen package. It's cheap and it's supposedly a quality suit. It ain't trilam but it has received good reviews and I've managed to find a few people who have used them pretty hard. I decided that I still don't know enough about this to invest a huge amount. I couldn't afford to invest too much even if I did. :wink: The package itself still isn't cheap but it seems to be a great entry level deal. One of these days I'll be able to afford to get something better and I'll have a few years of drysuit diving experience under my belt which will certainly help me weigh the options.

Rimp:
Someone please sell us 2 DUI shell suits with undergarments for $1K Canadian please. Thank you.

Unfortunately, most of the time the only DUI you'll get in that price range is a used one. However, have you looked on their website? They often have good deals on suits that people have ordered, then walked away from their deposit; or ones that have been re-conditioned (aka repaired).

That being said, what about Cdn mfgs like Whites, Abyss or Brooks? Some darn good suits there!

Take care, eh?!

I feel the same way about drysuit burnout. the thing that further hampers this process is the fact that its hard to go to any LDS that has a variety of suits to try on. they only ever have 2 or 3 suits and they're always in large (I need medium). Its hard to spend over 1k on something you can't try on before purchasing, or compare to other brands. I'm looking at the tls se 350 or the cnse, but they're just so spendy, what do you guys think about using a mares isotherm semi-dry? Would I be shelling out half the bucks and sacrificing half the insulation? I get cold easily, but I do most of my diving in the tropics. Its hard for me to shell out so many bucks for diving around here, something that I don't know if I like all that much yet. I've been using a 7mm farmer john and that is okay down to about 50 feet or so (before the thermoclime). Advice please!!!! Rimp, if you wanna go to a diveshop and buy 3 suits together, maybe we can swing a deal!

Snowbear:
Why are suspenders so important?

In So Cal its usually warm topside while cool UW. Suspenders let you unzip the thing and peel down the top, tuck the sleeves under the suspenders and walk around on deck.

Keeping the suit "on" during the SI is prohibitive most of the year out here...

K

Mo2vation:
In So Cal its usually warm topside while cool UW. Suspenders let you unzip the thing and peel down the top, tuck the sleeves under the suspenders and walk around on deck.

Keeping the suit "on" during the SI is prohibitive most of the year out here...

K
Must be a guy thing :wink: I have a .... uh .... more ample posterior than most guys, so the suit stays halfway up without 'spenders :D

Back
Top Bottom