Drysuit Boots Don't Have to Make Your Current Fins Obsolete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bopper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I thought I'd post this just for informational purposes.

I just started diving dry recently and - among all of the other things that you must adjust to - there was one thing that I was really disappointed in. Properly fitting Rock Boots will typically make your foot one size bigger in fins. I had about 5 pairs of size "Large" fins and one pair of "Medium" fins when I was diving wet. When I got the drysuit, the only fins that would now fit were the first pair I ever bought - Aqualung Blade 2s.

So over the holidays my LDS was having a sale. I thought I'd just pop in to see if there might be a solution to my problem at a discounted price. After all, I could end up spending <$100 to save over $500 worth of fins. Sure enough, the guy at the store new exactly what the problem was. He pointed me to some boots made by Poseidon called the One Shoe 3MM boot. He explained that traditional drysuit boots start sloping upward too soon. This quick rise in the profile prevents the shoe from sliding forward far enough (I had always assumed the drysuit boot was too wide but after he explained it I realized I was wrong - it was too tall not too wide). The Poseidon boots fit more like a traditional wetsuit bootie. They have a rise in the profile that is set further back and it allows a deeper entry of the foot. Sure enough when I got home all my fins - including the Medium - fit as beautifully as when I wore booties.

Experienced divers will know that Converse Chuck Taylor shoes are very popular w. drysuit divers. I always assumed this was because they are cheaper than most drysuit boots and it was a kind of thumbing of the nose to the dive industry. But I guess this was a known problem and this was their solution.

These boots are a lot like the Chuck Taylors, except that they have a "softer" feel due to the neoprene lining and have a zipper at the heel which make entry and exit much easier.

Again, just posting this in case other divers new to drysuits encounter the same dilemma I did.

Rubber fins like scubapro jet fins will fit your boots better and are much better for frog kicking. I bought mine just after i got my drysuit and never looked back.

Yep. The rep at the store actually pulled out a pair of jet fins specifically to show me the extra tall foot pocket. But I personally don't need or want to frog kick so that wouldn't have helped me.

One set of fins I was thinking would help would be the ScubaPro Twin Jet fins. I assumed they would have a bigger foot pocket and had the added bonus of being more negatively buoyant than most fins. But when I tried on a pair of Large (with my previous drysuit boots) they were just as poorly fitting as any of my other fins.

Last edited:
I had the same problem as you and had several pair of fins. My fix was to buy converse and then take them and put them in a pot of boiling water to remove the insoles and now they slide all the way in the fin. I have a set of white rock boots that I love but just dont go in the fin far enough.

It also depends on your starting point.

When I was in lightweight 7mm booties the fins I needed weren't going to work with any drysuit boot assuming the boot, rock boot or sneaker were sized for cold water insulation.

Now that I went to Seasoft Stealths for diving wet it's a match with my rock boots.

Also note that I have the lighter (circa 2010) rock boot. Earlier versions were chunkier needed a bigger foot pocket. What i have is very close to a sneaker (chcuks) construction.

Why not use regular wetboots on top of your drysocks?

They are faster and easier to get on and off, and the fit is excellent. They also provide some extra insulation, and are very flexible.

I didn't use wetsuit boots because I wanted to keep my feet as negative as possible and the chucks were very cheap.

The difference in buoyancy is very small.

Also, if buoyancy is a problem, you could use thinner socks, as the wetsuit boots will still keep you warm.

Just throwing this out there for general information. My dry suit has soft socks instead of rock boots so I use a cheap pair of hightops for traction. They are the same size as the booties I normally wear when diving wet and they fit in my normal fins just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom