Drysuit a little too big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I tried on a fusion bullet which is being sold used for $900. It fits fine, but the color of the suit has faded because it was used in the pool a lot and the chlorine must have bleached it. Other than needing new wrist seals, there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with it. I did look at other options though including buying a new suit. I looked at the fusion one, which doesn't have any pockets and is rear entry. The Abyss was talked about a lot, but it's a more expensive suit. I was told a good thing about it is that it will last a lot longer than a bullet, and as far as repairs go I won't have to do as much patching as neoprene is very durable. I also wouldn't have to buy a wet suit to dive here during the summer, though I've only used one a couple of times. Trying to make a decision now wether I should buy new or used. It's a big purchase but I want something that will last me a long time. A custom made suit seems to be the way to go.

The great thing about Fusion suits is they fit snugly without having to go the route of a custom suit. They maintain a very "tight bubble" even in off the rack sizes. I was skeptical about how this would work for me until I got a Fusion Tech.

My suit feels great in the water and I only need about 20lbs to sink it. By comparison, my buddy who is similar shape & size to me needs 37lbs to sink himself in a custom DUI suit.

You can buy new skins for Fusions for a couple hundred bucks. You can even switch from a Bullet to a Tech or Sport skin if those suit you better.

A couple of things come to mind First I am 6'2" 255 and I use 32 lbs in my bilam and 36 lbs in my thick neoprene suit So I would say that the OP is way over weighted.

Second I would suggest that you would find a harness like the DUI harness to be a great asset for carting the weight that you do need.

Next a suit that is a little big in the mid section is no problem at all. Vent out the suit with a deep knee bend while cracking open the neck seal a little and then release the next seal before you stand up and BAM ! you will be vacuumed packed into your suit. Regardless of if you only use air in your suit to take the squeeze or if you use it as your primary buoyancy you want to get the extra air out of your suit so that you can descend and then add as needed for Squeeze or Buoyancy.

The more you dive the suit the more accustomed to the suit you will be. You may say i will want to upgrade in the future but if you dive what you have now as you spend more time in it you will find even more features you will want in your next suit.

On Saturday I went diving for Scallops around the coast. My friend had a older neoprene commercial suit for sale and I was interested so I tried it out in the water. I like how the suit is a perfect fit though it squeezes quite a bit. The only thing I didn't like about the suit is that the dump valve is manual and chest mounted, so I have to press a button every time I want to let air out of the suit. I also punctured the suit in two places caused by kneeling on sharp-spined crustaceans on the ocean floor. The suit flooded a little and I began having problems with bouyancy. For $100 this suit seems like it's worth that as the small holes can be easily repaired. Still wondering what to do with the $500 credit the LDS has on my account. Would I be better off with a Fusion Bullet?

I used 36 lbs on Saturday and that worked until the drysuit flooded. On the second dive I had problems sinking. I think the water/air that developed in the drysuit boots (where the holes were) had something to do with it.

I don't know where your dive shop is getting off, suggesting that the Fusions aren't durable. My experience has been the exact opposite. They are VERY hard suits to hurt (of course, if you kneel on barnacles, you are going to damage almost anything . . . ).

Back
Top Bottom