Drysuit a little too big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't it strike you as odd the customer didn't try it on on the spot BEFORE buying it?? This is the same client that is talking about using more lead for a suit that sounds a little long in the arms and legs and thinks that he needs more lead than 45lbs for that. It appears that there is a lot more to the story than we we are hearing here. A diver who says that he is a size small in suits but is using 45 POUNDS for weight and can' get down with less???? On top of that he has already taken a drysuit course and made 25 dives with another size suit before purchasing this "wrong" size suit???

Many things don't add up here.

Does sound a little odd yes, but stranger things have happened.

Doesn't it strike you as odd the customer didn't try it on on the spot BEFORE buying it?? This is the same client that is talking about using more lead for a suit that sounds a little long in the arms and legs and thinks that he needs more lead than 45lbs for that. It appears that there is a lot more to the story than we we are hearing here. A diver who says that he is a size small in suits but is using 45 POUNDS for weight and can' get down with less???? On top of that he has already taken a drysuit course and made 25 dives with another size suit before purchasing this "wrong" size suit???

Many things don't add up here.

Odd yes, but it seems the OP was not experienced in drysuits in the first place. I would think that if the LDS really cared about his/her customers then they would have them try it on to verify the fit and worse case if that did not happen let him return it. It's a used suit so its not like they went from selling a new suit that was worn and now can only be sold as used at a discount. At least charge him a rental fee and call it a day. Part of being an LDS is being able to provide the one on one assistance. For something like a drysuit I'm not sure I would purchase that online since I would want someone to really look at the fit who is experienced (my LDS).

I'm only going on what the OP has said. It could be that he insisted on buying it and was told it was too large and there would be no returns.

I think that too many things that don't add up and this is a guy who has had 25 dives with a drysuit and a course. Before one jumps to conclusions and offers advice or accusations, I think we need to hear more details of the whole story. The SB is full of such stories where people come down on the LDS or the "business" with all types of negative accusations only to find out later that the other side of the story changes the circle of blame 180 degrees. In this case there are so many irrgulatrities that need to be clarified before one should issue blame or advice on what to do here.

I did try it on before I bought it. It seemed fine but after the first dive it made me realize that a better fitting drysuit would be much more comfortable which is why I've been given the option by my LDS to buy a more epensive suit if I return this one. I paid $500 for the suit and they have a Fusion Bullet in their rental fleet which they are selling for $900. This is "as is" with no returns as well. I can also purchase the Fusion One drysuit rear entry brand new for $1000, so I may go that route if it gives me more options for a better fit. I haven't decided on exactly what I want to do yet. I'm going to the shop later today to try on the Bullet. It's front entry compared to the Fusion One, and has pockets. I've only rented the Fusion Bullet in the past so I haven't dove in any other suit than the one I bought used.

I'm 5'8" and weigh 155 pounds but extra weight seems to work well for me. In frigid cold Newfoundland waters it seems like everyone uses a lot of weight with their drysuits. Theyre just putting it on their belts unlike me who find belts to be a PITA.

I can't imagine you really need 45 pounds of weight, unless you are truly packing on very inefficient undergarments. I dive in Puget Sound, where we all tend to use about the thickest UGs that are out there, and most people will come in in the 25 to 35 pound range, unless they are sinking a tremendous amount of bioprene, which from your data, you are not.

Diving a dry suit that is a little too big is not nearly the problem that diving one that is too small can be. Too big, and you need to limit the air in the suit carefully (which will impact how warm you can be). Too small, and your mobility can be significantly impaired, and that's a safety factor.

You can get a dry suit tailored, even in the torso, but it is not a cheap repair, and the suit needs to be a screaming deal in very good condition to make it worthwhile.

A used Fusion for $900 is a discount, but not an unbelievable one. They can be found from time to time in the $1500 range new. I personally do not like the Bullet skin because of its impact on the flexibility of the suit, but I know it doesn't bother others.

I did try it on before I bought it. It seemed fine but after the first dive it made me realize that a better fitting drysuit would be much more comfortable which is why I've been given the option by my LDS to buy a more epensive suit if I return this one. I paid $500 for the suit and they have a Fusion Bullet in their rental fleet which they are selling for $900. This is "as is" with no returns as well. I can also purchase the Fusion One drysuit rear entry brand new for $1000, so I may go that route if it gives me more options for a better fit. I haven't decided on exactly what I want to do yet. I'm going to the shop later today to try on the Bullet. It's front entry compared to the Fusion One, and has pockets. I've only rented the Fusion Bullet in the past so I haven't dove in any other suit than the one I bought used.

I'm 5'8" and weigh 155 pounds but extra weight seems to work well for me. In frigid cold Newfoundland waters it seems like everyone uses a lot of weight with their drysuits. Theyre just putting it on their belts unlike me who find belts to be a PITA.

As far as I can tell so far, no need for the typical and "genetic" LDS bashing that has been exhibited above. It appears that the OP tried the suit on and was happy with it and it wasn't as a big of a deal as it was initially reported to be at all. In fact, with further facts coming in now, the dive shop is giving the client a great deal and an option to exchange the suit for a different size. One more thing to note, as far as I know one size bigger in drysuits is no big deal at all in my experience.

AGAIN, 45lb is WAY too much ESPECIALLY with your weight and size. WAY too much as in grossly exceptionally, incredibly, unbelievably, insanely too too too much.

Almost 1/3 of your body weight in lead??? Are you diving and wanting to bring the boat down with you too???

I'm 6'3", 230# and am overweighted with 18# on a weightbelt. Most of the critters I photograph are on the bottom so I try to be a little negative. I could get away with 15-16# if I had to.

So I tried on a fusion bullet which is being sold used for $900. It fits fine, but the color of the suit has faded because it was used in the pool a lot and the chlorine must have bleached it. Other than needing new wrist seals, there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with it. I did look at other options though including buying a new suit. I looked at the fusion one, which doesn't have any pockets and is rear entry. The Abyss was talked about a lot, but it's a more expensive suit. I was told a good thing about it is that it will last a lot longer than a bullet, and as far as repairs go I won't have to do as much patching as neoprene is very durable. I also wouldn't have to buy a wet suit to dive here during the summer, though I've only used one a couple of times. Trying to make a decision now wether I should buy new or used. It's a big purchase but I want something that will last me a long time. A custom made suit seems to be the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom