Drysuit a little too big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nldiver1984

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought my first drysuit used about a week ago from the dive shop. I tried it on in the water for the first time yesterday and it looks a little too big for me. There's some extra room around the torso area. This is a Whites Nexus drysuit and was used as a rental for quite some time. I had some trouble adjusting the buoyancy and was told a weight belt might help. I was looking at the sizing chart on Whites website and apparently I'm good for a size S but the drysuit I have is size MK. I can't return the drysuit so would custom sizing this suit be expensive or should I just stick to using a weight belt?

Define expensive. Try this guy if you decide to resize.

First off, size charts are not the end all and be all but they are a piece of the puzzle.

Have you had a drysuit course are are you working with a mentor? Even seasoned divers can find themselves diving like turds for 10 or more dives while they iron out their configuration and get their head into the skills. How good was your cold water wetsuit buoyancy to begin with? I'm not throwing stones but there's not much in your post or profile.

A weight belt might help? If you are wearing enough to be comfortable in Newfoundland without a belt (all integrated?) then you configuration does need some work.

I suggest (regardless of your ultimate drysuit) that you get a weight harness to let you better control your weight and trim while balancing your rig. if nothing else that BC must be miserably heavy slug of a thing right now. The DUI Weight & Trim is very common. The sizing should be irrelevant to the weighting. Extra material will collapse and not represent a need for lead.

Extra room around the Torso? That's relative but remember that you need room to bend and stretch. Assuming this is a laminate (bag) suit there is no stretch.Some loose material is needed to allow contorting like putting fins on and reaching valves. It will not fit like a Tuxedo. IMO most sizing heartburn comes from length issues.

It's a used suit, I'd flip it before getting it tailored.

If you bought it used from a shop I would push back for refund, credit etcetera if you really feel they "sold you the rack". At worst, they have the same used suit on the rack. If they deserve your business then they should be able to dispel your concerns with training/configuration. Keep in mind that aside from the suit, garments and other gear adjustments, especially weighting and fins often need to be added. If your BC was a close fit wet it may even be inadequate for diving in a warm drysuit.

Pete

<---takes DEEP breath...will attempt..to be subtle here....

Looking at the size charts for the Nexus...they put you in a suit at LEAST...2 sizes off...(keep in mind sizing is very individulized). My concern is simple...an ill fitting, or mis fitted drysuit...can be a safety issue..think of the size of the air bubble. Not to mention..constantly fighting the suit trim wise. If your "shop"...knowingly advised...fit..and sold you a suit that is so mismatched to you...I think you need to get your money back...THAN...find another shop that actually CARES about you as a customer...just my .2. And yes..I work in a shop...and HAVE refused a sale to a customer if it DOESN'T fill their need.

Besides, I've found that my drysuit shrinks in the winter. Many others do, too. ;-)

I talked to my dive shop. Was told that I bought the drysuit as is and that I knowingly knew the size of the suit before I bought it, thus I can't get a refund. The wrist seals don't fit properly as well, so that's an extra $50 unless I can do it myself. I always found weight belts to be cumbersome and it always seems to slip off when I wear a drysuit. I've taken the dry suit course and did most of my 25 dives in one, in a Fusion drysuit, which fit better but getting in one was a pain. Maybe I jumped a little too quickly on this sale. Now I have a suit that I might only dive a few times in before I get tired of trying too hard to keep my buoyancy in check. Maybe I'll put it on and take a picture to see what you think. I could try selling it, and hopefully get near the same price I paid for it.

Right now I'm putting all of my weights in my BC. Currently at 45 lbs.

It's what I've always used. Any less and I can't sink.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 06:43 PM ----------

I emailed the shop and stated that I'm willing to pay a restocking fee on the suit, and the costs for testing it, and even buy one that's more expensive, or put the money towards a new suit if I can return this one. I know the suit was sold as is but with this type of purchase there must be something they could do for me, even if it means giving them more money. I'd rather have a suit that fits perfectly then this suit which is going to cause problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom