Drying the inside of the wing bladder ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
HI

Just upgraded my wings and was wondering what others do with regard to drying out the inside of the bladder.

Do most of you remove the BCD connections then hang the bladder out so that eventually the inside becomes dry - or just wash it out with fresh water, drain and let any moisture remain in the bladder

Just curious. Iain

I rinse with fresh water, by removing the OPV and shoving the garden hose in.

Then, I drain and hang with the OPV off, until I go diving again. OPV replacement is part of my dive packing routine.

Flush 3 times exercising all valves and store partially inflated.

More or less the same as I do.

I live in a cool climate (especially in winter) and drying the inside of the bladder takes literally weeks!

I was concerned with mildew build-up, etc. But, mildew doesn't grow too well in cool climates and I think the bladders have been pre-treated somehow so that fungus, mildew etc doesn't build up.

Thanks, Iain

Don't remove the OPV(s). It's unnecessary and increases the likelihood of damaging a plastic part.

I rinse/store the same way that spectrum and AbyssalPlains do.

I agree that it's best not to open the OP Valves. I did that one time and unbeknownst to me an O ring fell out. Needless to say my BC could not hold air on my next dive.

Adam

I remove the OPV (over pressure valve) at the bottom of the BC and roll up a paper towel and insert the end into the drain hole, leaving it hanging out. With the BC hanging vertically it wicks the moisture out which then evaporates. There is no gasket to lose on the OPV connection since it seals with a rubber surface on the valve. When I'm ready to go diving I remove paper towel and reinstall OPV being careful not to cross thread the OPV valve.

I flush it out with fresh water and a cap full of mouth wash. I hang it upside down and after all the water runs down to the
bottom I drain it thru the inflator hose. My wing always stays nice and fresh.

Wow - you guys are pretty good. I try to flush out the interior of our wings every couple of years or so if I remember.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom