Dryglove failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251:
So, if i remove my seals, how much of a statistical chance do i have of completely flooding my suit and dying? Cheers

Just curious Why would you die from a completely flooded drysuit?

I have flooded twice since 1989, you get wet, colder for sure, and climbing out of the water is harder. In the water there is no change in buoyancy. Flooding a suit is an annoyance not a death threat.

In 99 I ripped a glove off trying to remove steel cable from a prop the boat captain entangled. 42 degree water and was in for 32 minutes. In the end I was wet, cold, and tired but not in any real danger. Came out of water about 200lbs heavier or at least it felt like it, but the undergarments kept me warm enough to complete the job.

Most punctures I have had just left me with a wet arm and some dampness in core. Your position in water column can limit the amount of intrusion, type of undergarments worn effect wicking and warmth.

I have never worn secondary seals or dams with dry gloves as the pittance factor for me outweighs the risk.

I see so many of these 'if i do something that is vaguely different from the way im taught/everyone else does it, will i die...' threads, i was just playing with the words. I flood my suit- the dive gets thumbed. My 400g undies will keep me warm until i hit the beach or boat, so im not too worried.

Soz if i sounded melodramatic...

dave4868:
Where are you chucking those liners? :D

By the way, here's a place with a good price on the Atlas 495 with separate liners ($12.72, not including S&H):

http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new-detail.cfm?id=ATL495L

Dave C

I have one more set of large. If you want 'em, PM me your address and I'll send them right over.

---
Ken

np251:
I see so many of these 'if i do something that is vaguely different from the way I'm taught/everyone else does it, will i die...' threads Soz if i sounded melodramatic...

whew! Thanks for clarification :D

Mo2vation:
I have one more set of large. If you want 'em, PM me your address and I'll send them right over.

---
Ken

PM sent. :)

Dave C

the OS System dry glove rings have a modified Atlas style gloves where they glue a latex seal on the glove to fit it to the ring so there is not cotton lining causing leaks via wicking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom