Flooded Light, new light recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3rd replacement cord? Those are mil-spec cables, what are you doing to that poor light?
Only thing I can think of is I tend to stretch my arm out using the cord to pull the Goodman handle snug on my hand.

Only thing I can think of is I tend to stretch my arm out using the cord to pull the Goodman handle snug on my hand.
In your defense, IIRC, you have not had the new MIL spec cord until now. If you need a longer cord you only need to ask, I do custom cord lengths all the time. If you are pulling the cord tight when you reach your arm out it should probably be lengthened an inch or two. If you want that done just send it back to me with the usual note in the box. :wink:

FYI Extreme Exposure is doing an amazing deal on a combo for a Focus 2 and a Flare EXP Halcyon Focus 2.0 Light
1662746229863.png

I had a razor Primary can light and the light head flooded, so I'm in the market for a new light. I dont want a razor light as Ive had this one flood twice and also 2 backup lights from them flood, 3 of them were in the first couple months so im just not interested in their products.
You said your backup lights flooded as well.

Get a reliable backup light:
Heser-Backup - Heser Tauchtechnik GmbH

Yeah, it's not 1000000000000 lumen, but it works when you really need it. Mine is 10 years old.

The only option that ticks both small light head and crazy output is the UWLD. All the others have fairly choady light heads and nothing out there is as powerful as the UWLD. If there is a lot of particulate in the water you'll need to turn it down for backscatter purposes but at that point it will be about as bright as the Focus 2.0.
The stack cap on the UWLD allows you to run the vest heater when you want it but remove it if you don't, and the vest heater is the most powerful and flexible on the market giving you full output of the heated vest instead of the LM/Halcyons that only output about 75-80% of the vests heat output because of the lower pack voltage.

Another vote for UWLD. @Bobby lights are probably the best lights on the market. And his customer service is equivalent if not better than Shearwaters. Yes his lights are expensive but in reality they really are not that much more than any other high end light and your paying for an amazing quality product plus some of the best customer service in the world. And yes I mean world. Last year I was in a very very remote part of Sulawesi, Indonesia on a 1 month cave exploration trip and something happened with my piezo button. I contacted Bobby and he sent me a new one all the way to Indonesia.

The only other lights other than UWLD that I am a fan of are Gralmarine. But if your in N. America they are a mission to get and no service provided. But they do make some epic quality lights and the versatility/variety of light heads and battery packs in pretty impressive. They make some true expedition lights with crazy depth ratings.

Nanight tech 2 ?

Don't even bother with Nanight. I have a friend that is an "influencer" for them. I think he is up to number 4-5 of them that he has flood. Obviously he gets them for free so they just keep sending him new ones but if your a regular consumer I am assuming you would be SOL. They seem to fail around where the front glass seals to the body.

Another vote for UWLD. @Bobby lights are probably the best lights on the market.
Is there a place to get more info on the lights than the website? I'm in the market for a new light for Cave 1 at the end of the year and debating between Light Monkey, Halcyon, and UWLD. I can find lots of information, reviews, and comparisons for Halcyon and Light Monkey but not nearly as much for UWLD. Burn time and some side by side comparisons would be helpful in making a choice.

It looks like the UWLD tall canister is 160wH, which is similar to the 15aH (172.5wH) Light Monkey canister. Does that mean that UWLD's biggest battery is half the size of the Light Monkey 30aH? Does it have half the burn time? At $650 more than the LM 15aH, I'm unsure how to compare them. I hear a lot of people saying UWLD is great, but not a lot of specific reasons why.

Is there a place to get more info on the lights than the website? I'm in the market for a new light for Cave 1 at the end of the year and debating between Light Monkey, Halcyon, and UWLD. I can find lots of information, reviews, and comparisons for Halcyon and Light Monkey but not nearly as much for UWLD. Burn time and some side by side comparisons would be helpful in making a choice.

It looks like the UWLD tall canister is 160wH, which is similar to the 15aH (172.5wH) Light Monkey canister. Does that mean that UWLD's biggest battery is half the size of the Light Monkey 30aH? Does it have half the burn time? At $650 more than the LM 15aH, I'm unsure how to compare them. I hear a lot of people saying UWLD is great, but not a lot of specific reasons why.
My apologies, my burn time matrix link keeps getting broken when there is a site update. I'll work on getting it sorted again.

LD-40 with 160wh canister 4+ hours high, 8+ hours medium, 30 hours low
LD-20 with 160wh canister 8+ hours high, 15+ hours medium, 30 hours low

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom