Dry Tortugas Live Aboard Thanksgiving Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer:
Can we catch bugs? I've never tried it. Will we be in hunting season?

I could shoot too but I don't own a spear gun. Have shot before though. If someone had an extra and wanted to bring it along, I'd do a little huntin'. I'd only be shooting if we can cook it for dinner though. Do you know if that's possible Marvel?

We're going for bugs AND fish! Lobster season runs Aug 6 to March 31. You have to have a florida salt water license and a crawfish stamp for bugs. You can get a 3 day non-resident license (noticed you're from TX) that would cover the trip. You can get it online. http://myfwc.com/license/ You can also check with the boat. They may already carry a commercial license that covers guests.

I'll be bringing my gun and my bug stuff. I'd be happy to show some techniques. My hubby's getting a new gun for the trip so we'll have an extra and I ALWAYS bring an extra set of bug gear.

I don't see why the boat would mind cooking catch - but I'll call Sherry and find out.

Just a little over 2 months. :D

I called Sherry yesterday. My wife and I are 1 & 2 on the waiting list. I hope that something opens up. And, that I can find reasonable airfare for that time of year.

I think it would be great to meet you all.

After a summer in 7mm and an aborted trip to Key Largo, we can't wait to get in warm water.

Lobsters, I only wish we were allowed to catch them up here in Maine. It sounds like fun.

As I told Marvel, I'm keeping my flippers crossed!

Chuck (and Moya) Elliot

cfelliot:
I called Sherry yesterday. My wife and I are 1 & 2 on the waiting list. I hope that something opens up. And, that I can find reasonable airfare for that time of year.

I think it would be great to meet you all.

After a summer in 7mm and an aborted trip to Key Largo, we can't wait to get in warm water.

Lobsters, I only wish we were allowed to catch them up here in Maine. It sounds like fun.

As I told Marvel, I'm keeping my flippers crossed!

Chuck (and Moya) Elliot

Well....looks like we did just get ONE spot. :11:

Sorry you have to drop out, Andy. I was really looking forward to actually getting in the water with you for once!

life sucks -(

i had to bail out of my full cave class a few weeks back thanks to a last-minute schedule change at work...

hey, we'll go diving soon anyhow!

DiveGal01:
<snip>You can also check with the boat. They may already carry a commercial license that covers guests.

I'll be bringing my gun and my bug stuff. I'd be happy to show some techniques. My hubby's getting a new gun for the trip so we'll have an extra and I ALWAYS bring an extra set of bug gear.

I don't see why the boat would mind cooking catch - but I'll call Sherry and find out.

I'll call tomorrow to see if the boat has a commercial license.

If you're willing to teach on the bug huntin', I'm willing to listen. Should I bring my Kevlar wreck gloves? If you don't mind letting me use your extra set of bug gear, I'd be very appreciative. Can you point me in the direction of what the gear consists of? Maybe I'll just pick up a set before the trip.

Let me know what you find out from Sherry on the cooking.

Thanks,

Richard

PacketSniffer:
I'll call tomorrow to see if the boat has a commercial license.

If you're willing to teach on the bug huntin', I'm willing to listen. Should I bring my Kevlar wreck gloves? If you don't mind letting me use your extra set of bug gear, I'd be very appreciative. Can you point me in the direction of what the gear consists of? Maybe I'll just pick up a set before the trip.

Let me know what you find out from Sherry on the cooking.

Thanks,

Richard

I talked to Captain Rick and the scoop is that the boat has a fish and lobster license to cover ALL guests. However, they can only carry a 2 day bag limit per person. That means the boat can come home with 240 lobster (6 per person per day) and 200 grouper (5 per person per day). Somehow, I don't think we'll hit those numbers. :11:

Also, they have no problem cooking up our catch as long we don't go over the bag limits.

Lobster gear varies. This is my first DT trip. I usually carry a tickle stick, measuring gauge, a small landing net, flash light, and a catch bag. I also have a tail snare. I will be bringing spare gear that you are more than welcome to use. And yes, bring the gloves.

DiveGal01:
I talked to Captain Rick and the scoop is that the boat has a fish and lobster license to cover ALL guests. However, they can only carry a 2 day bag limit per person. That means the boat can come home with 240 lobster (6 per person per day) and 80 grouper (5 per person per day). Somehow, I don't think we'll hit those numbers. :11:

Are there gonna be any left when we hit the dock? :lol: I'm planning on eatin' gooooood. :D

DiveGal01:
Lobster gear varies. This is my first DT trip. I usually carry a tickle stick, measuring gauge, a small landing net, flash light, and a catch bag. I also have a tail snare. I will be bringing spare gear that you are more than welcome to use. And yes, bring the gloves.

I think I'll invest in the gear. I found a decent tickle stick yesterday on the web. Got plenty of light. Just ask my buddy Tiggrr. Oh, wait, she probably can't see anything just yet. :11: I'll pick up a guage from ebay or from LBTS when I get into town. Any catch bags that you recommend? Is this a bag that you steer them into or is it just a goody bag that you are throwin' them into once caught?

Oh man, this trip is gonna be lots-o-fun! Bug huntin' is just gonna add another notch to my diving addiction. Thanks for the guidance.

Richard

PacketSniffer:
Any catch bags that you recommend? Is this a bag that you steer them into or is it just a goody bag that you are throwin' them into once caught?

Oh man, this trip is gonna be lots-o-fun! Bug huntin' is just gonna add another notch to my diving addiction. Thanks for the guidance.
Richard

I steer them into a net and then put them into a goody bag. There are a bunch of different kinds of bags from simple pull string bags (I don't recommend these) to Lobster Motels that contain special trap door openings with zipper dumps. I have a simple velcro closure bag. Works for me.

Yep, I'm looking forward to this one, too! We're goin' divin' ! We're goin' divin' !

Sherry e-mailed tonight. There was a mistake :11: and a couple is ahead of us making us 3 & 4.

Hey, I'm moving the wrong way!!!!

cfelliot:
Sherry e-mailed tonight. There was a mistake :11: and a couple is ahead of us making us 3 & 4.

Hey, I'm moving the wrong way!!!!

Yech!!!

I still don't know who all the folks on the trip are- real names, screen names.... PLEASE help me match them up, folks!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom