Dry suits and Catheters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, nice to see this thread has degenerated into this....:wink:
I have in fact received a "sample" pack of wide bands and will be using them soon.

Here in Ca, the water is getting chilly now...so, seeing how I dive 365 (or want to) I invested in said drysuit. Yes, there's a learning curve, and yes, it's something different, but I like to pick up new things, and what I don't learn in class...(what catheters etc) I can come here, and not only begin a month long rant into pee jokes and nether region shaving, but I actually got useful guidance....:cool2:

So, yes....I'll sing it from the mountain top, I dive dry....and I pee out of a tube in my suit....I also live 3 miles from the ocean and wanna dive in January in 51 degree water for as long as my steel 100 will let me (which depending on depth can easily run over an hour) all the while remaining warm, hydrated and able to "purge".

:vintagediver:

Don't be hatin'

So for those who are looking for useful information and stumbled upon this thread (or looking for more entertainment but could use a pointer or two in pain management:)

The Ultraflex catheters optionally ship with skin prep wipes. These contain an alcohol-based solution that forms a protective barrier over the skin. If you use this pre-application, and then use adhesive-remover wipes (several brands available, I scored some off of ebay) removing the catheter is actually faster than putting it on and there is no pain, not even mild discomfort involved.

Seriously, it's so straightforward and the difference is pure night and day, it should be in the manual instead of the worthless "warm compress may help".

So for those who are looking for useful information and stumbled upon this thread (or looking for more entertainment but could use a pointer or two in pain management:)

The Ultraflex catheters optionally ship with skin prep wipes. These contain an alcohol-based solution that forms a protective barrier over the skin. If you use this pre-application, and then use adhesive-remover wipes (several brands available, I scored some off of ebay) removing the catheter is actually faster than putting it on and there is no pain, not even mild discomfort involved.

Seriously, it's so straightforward and the difference is pure night and day, it should be in the manual instead of the worthless "warm compress may help".

Does the skin prep wipe affect any adhesives, like make them less sticky? I.e. Hollister spray and Urobond IV in particular? Or does it work for all of them?

I used a Texas Cathader a couple times. I worked Ok. (no leakes) It was like wearing a condom with a hose at the tip leading to a bag that is fastened to your calf. Look at medical supply stores not drug stores. I got my from a medical supply store on Ebay.

As an alternative to the widebands, I have been using Coloplast Conveen Urisheaths and have no problems at all. Even when I had a kink that took a while to work out I did not blow the cath off. As an added bonus, there is little/no pain when removing. I did a three-tanker Saturday, showered in the AM, applied, dove x3, peed as much I was able, and at the end of the dives, easily removed with no issues.

That said, I did order the free samples from rochester, can't hurt (well, maybe from what I've read here :wink: ).

As an aside, I will route the hose from the undergarments then use cloth sport tape to keep everything in line and in place (tape to the outside of the undergarments (I refuse to talk about the first time I taped - I do not shave my legs, you get the idea...). I have found this essentially removes the possibility of kinks and keeps things flowing easily :wink:

Hi,

It's great to find answers to many embarassing questions here. To those of you using the p-valve already, have you ever tried adult diapers before? Or is this totally out of question due to the pure amount of liquid? :(

And secondly, doesn't your tube (not the one you buy and mount...) get cold?

Hi,

It's great to find answers to many embarassing questions here. To those of you using the p-valve already, have you ever tried adult diapers before? Or is this totally out of question due to the pure amount of liquid? :(

And secondly, doesn't your tube (not the one you buy and mount...) get cold?

:confused: Are you asking if the water comes up the tube of your p-valve? If so the answer is no. We stay very warm and dry. If not them you have issues tha you should correct.

I haven't tried nappies before but I probably would have had to end up using them had a female p-valve option not been available when I started doing dives long enough to need a p-valve. So I'm really glad I had that option :) Even when diving with the valve I don't use a nappy as backup but I know some people do.

:confused: Are you asking if the water comes up the tube of your p-valve? If so the answer is no. We stay very warm and dry. If not them you have issues tha you should correct.

I thought it did with unbalanced valves? I only have a balanced valve so perhaps I'm mixing things up though...

While I was waiting for my p-valve to arrive, I tried those Depends. I'm pretty sure they work as advertised, but I was damned if I was going to test it. And there are a LOT of divers who use them and won't mess with p-valves. Plus there are a few who eschew both approaches and have horizontal relief zippers. I have not run across anyone who repeatedly dives in a dry suit and does not use one of these methods.
After a couple of times, my p-valve arrived and the nappies got tossed, although I guess they had some residual comedic value. Soon enough when I'm a gibbering old geezer, I'll be back in nappies full-time.
Instead of messing with wipes to remove the cath, I have small bottles of rubbing alcohol strategically placed around the world. Easy to just squirt a little alcohol on your uh, unit and peel the cath off. Plus you can flush your ears with the alcohol, or as happened in Deerfield Beach recently, set a middle school kid on fire. Fortunately, the kid is doing great and the little thugs who allegedly did it are facing trial as adults.
One other note on the adult diapers. If you have nothing else, it is a necessary evil, but my God, the dork factor when you're putting the thing on is unbelievable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom