Dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairbanksdiver:
Don't most internal catheters use a air inflated bulb/balloon thinggy to hold it in place?

If so... it would be rendered ineffective as soon as you descended.

-B.

Anyone make a first stage with 5 low pressure ports?

Oli:
"kitty litter in my drysuit boots" does not sound like a very good idea to me.
Has anyone tried a diaper? Does it feel very uncomfortable underwater??

I have not tried the kitty litter <g>.

Depends are not the epitomy of comfort either dry or wet, but they're not that bad either - and certainly more comfortable than a very wet pair of thermals. You might need to try a few brands until you find the one most comfortable for you. And when you DO need to use the diaper, "go" slowly so that it has time to absorb. And keep in mind that one diaper is usually good only once, so plan carefully.

Wearing one beats climbing a ladder with doubles and stages with a really full and sometimes leaky bladder.

The balloon is filled with saline or H2O.

Yes, I have used diapers underwater, they take a little getting used to, but as with anything new, you get used to with repetitive use. The hardest thing in my experience is convincing yourself it's okay to pee.

When I was a teen and had some full sedation sinus surgery a nurse doing pre-op put a catheter in me and it didn't have a balloon in it, she just used some tape in an x-pattern to hold it in place. It really wasn't a big deal and didn't really hurt as it was advanced in real slow.

Seems better then taking a whiz on myself, but then again, in 20 years of drysuit diving I have never had an issue just waiting till I surfaced so I haven't ever had the need to come up with a resolution.

You mean people are asking about P-valve for women and they are not members of TDS? The site is wealth of information.

I will cross post this then, it is from a long thread about/by men who've gotten very very bad infections from their P-valves, describing raging 104 degree fevers, hospitals, etc.. About how even though the texas catheters are external (not indwelling) when they get backed up, hose pinched, etc.. they can put the user in a WORLD of hurt.

Many people describe the extremes they go to to keep their Valves and hoses as clean as possible... (flushing with bleach, vinigar, detergent, etc...)

Someone then asked about Urine being sterile.

--------

Normally, urine is sterile. It is usually free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi but does contain fluids, salts, and waste products. An infection occurs when tiny organisms, usually bacteria from the digestive tract, cling to the opening of the urethra and begin to multiply. The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the bladder to outside the body. Most infections arise from one type of bacteria, Escherichia coli (E. coli), which normally lives in the colon.

In many cases, bacteria first travel to the urethra. When bacteria multiply, an infection can occur. An infection limited to the urethra is called urethritis. If bacteria move to the bladder and multiply, a bladder infection, called cystitis, results. If the infection is not treated promptly, bacteria may then travel further up the ureters to multiply and infect the kidneys. A kidney infection is called pyelonephritis.

The urinary system is structured in a way that helps ward off infection. The ureters and bladder normally prevent urine from backing up toward the kidneys, and the flow of urine from the bladder helps wash bacteria out of the body. In men, the prostate gland produces secretions that slow bacterial growth.

That is why in hospitals, when placing indwelling catheters, we go to all the trouble of doing it in a "sterile" fashion, and all the components start out sterile.

This also explains the risk of women trying to use an indwelling catheter and connecting it to a nonsterile P-valve (potential bacteria highway directly into the bladder)

WOW!
i was thinking in buy me a drysuite, but after reading all of this, i'll keep my wetsuite.

paula paz:
WOW!
i was thinking in buy me a drysuite, but after reading all of this, i'll keep my wetsuite.

Paula, the "problem" is being blown way out of proportion. I've been using a drysuit for well over 10 years and most of the time it's a non-issue.

So don't be dissuaded from getting a drysuit. I'll never dive wet in temperate waters again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom