dry suit storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mickeyroi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I recently bought a used (but great condition) drysuit. It is going to be at least 2 months until I get to take the proper training and start using it.

While in storage, what is the best way to maintain the suit? I would like to make sure that my investment doesn't get 'spoiled' in my closet.

Thanks! Michael

Hey Michael!

You bought a dry suit? How cool. Will you let me know how you like it? It's getting pretty chilly around here. Hey, you should check the so cal forum. There's a message there for you.:05:

John

mickeyroi:
Hi all, I recently bought a used (but great condition) drysuit. It is going to be at least 2 months until I get to take the proper training and start using it.

While in storage, what is the best way to maintain the suit? I would like to make sure that my investment doesn't get 'spoiled' in my closet.

Thanks! Michael

I recommend talcing the seals, and storing it with the zipper unzipped. I lay it down, fold the legs up to the shoulders, do it again, then fold the arms over to complete the Burrito. Store it losely in a bag that breathes (pillow case, etc.)

Avoid stacking stuff on it that will "fold" the zipper, and you're all good.

You're gonna love it.

---
Ken

The manual that came with mine says roll it up loosely from the feet and store it somewhere free of potentially harmful gases, i.e. probably not in the garage and definitely not in the same room as the furnace, if you have one. (Presumably you do, if you own a drysuit. :wink: )

John, thanks for the b-day note.. hadn't noticed it before :) Yah, my girlfriend is starting to get cold, so I thought we should both get drysuits for the winter. Got mine.. but it's harder to find a used one that will fit her, she's 5'8 115lbs..ruling out most suits owned by men before.

Others, thanks for the advise, I will put talk on the seals. Am I not also supposed to use wax on it as well, like on the zipper or something?

I rinse mine after diving, I hang it boots up with the zipper open. When it's dry I talc the seals and clean the zipper with an old toothbrush to remove any leftover wax and roll it up from the boots to the top, lay the arms over it to keep the zipper straight and leave the zipper open. I store it in the bag it came in upstairs in my closet to keep it away from electrical appliances. Electrical appliance give off ozone that will break down the glues used on the seals and boots.

Scott

mickeyroi:

Thanks! Michael
Michael,

Don't let these other guys fool you. It's VERY bad to keep your drysuit in storage. The best way to maintain it is to send it to me while you await your training. When you're ready for your training, I will then send it back to you tried and tested :D

mickeyroi:
Am I not also supposed to use wax on it as well, like on the zipper or something?

The wax is applied before closing zipper. The wax is supposed to make the zipper easier to open and close, thus reducing wear and tear duing use. Can't hurt to wax before storing so that it's ready to use, instead of fooling around at the dive site. Wax would probably also provide a protective coating to prevent any possible corrosion during storage (just a guess).

Hmm what kind of suit? I ask because my 'bag suit' is supposed to be rolled up from the feet and stored. Not folded.

I think storing it with the zipper open is common amongst all suits though :) As is keeping it out of the sun and away from any direct heat.

Enjoy your new(to you) suit. :)

Bjorn

P.S.: As well, in my zipper instructions it talked about applying the wax, then opening and closing the zipper several times to warm it and work it into the grooves.

It would be interesting to see what suit says to fold it. Mine is a Viking Sport and it's supposed to be rolled up, zipper open according to the instruction manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom