Dry suit - if money was no object!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meagicano

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm in the market for a dry suit and for a reason I don't want to disclose here, I'm not worried about the costs. I do need some advice, however.

I live in Ontario and dive actively in the St-Lawrence. Temperatures are around 75 at the height of summer, tapering down to below freezing in the winter months (of course). I don't know how much longer I will be in Ontario, but if I move anywhere it will likely be to where the water is even colder (somewhere on the Atlantic). We do lots of shore diving and spend some time on the bottom (fighting current) - and we have lots of zebra mussels, so I need something that will stand up.

I dive with a backplate and wing, standard harness set up with a crotch strap. I don't have any pockets on my current set up - so pockets would be nice. Due to some health reasons I have no current plans to go into full tech diving (although I would like to try a cavern course). Easy to get on and zip up would also be nice :)

I'm also planning to travel so I had basically crossed out the compressed neoprene options and have been looking at trilam suits.

The local dive shops here are all relatively small, so I know that whoever I talk to will have a vested interest in pushing their brands as the selection is generally limited. I will eventually get down to a larger shop, but I don't want to have a long phone conversation with them while trying to figure out what I want! As it stands I'm a bit of an outlier in my diving club as they tend to have a bit of a herd mentality and I am very much an independent person who tries to figure things out for myself :)

I have been looking at DUI suits and people have been pushing the Bare SB System, saying "it's the drysuit of the future." I am planning to make this a one time purchase as my current money tree is in danger of drying up shortly. As it's such a large investment, I definitely feel the pressure in making the right decision! Feedback, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Also, I looked at the White's Fusion and have watched some people get it on - and it seems like it's a bit of a hassle. Thoughts?

Help me ScubaBoard! You're my only hope!

Looking as well at those two choices. Leaning towards DUI because of fit. Whites was like putting a plastic garbadge bag on. Hated it

Take a serious look at Santi. I have found mine to be almost indestructable and I really abuse it sometimes.

Take a serious look at Santi. I have found mine to be almost indestructable and I really abuse it sometimes.

I don't know anyone up here (in Canada) who sells Santi... I checked their website and it looks like I'd have to order from the U.S. I don't know if my money tree extends into buying American.

If you are leaning towards a DUI dry suit and you happen to be near one of the upcoming DUI Demo Tour locations, you should check it out.

2012 DUI Demo Tour Participating Rally Dealers

I personally use a ScubaPro Everdry4 dry suit and really enjoy it. It's nowhere near as expensive as a trilam dry suits but you have to fit it off the rack.

I don't know anyone up here (in Canada) who sells Santi... I checked their website and it looks like I'd have to order from the U.S. I don't know if my money tree extends into buying American.

I would not have mentioned it if not for your "I'm not worried about the costs."

I think it is better quality than the current DUI models. You can always contact Add Helium about shipping costs to Canada. This is the one I have: Enduro

I would not have mentioned it if not for your "I'm not worried about the costs."

I think it is better quality than the current DUI models. You can always contact Add Helium about shipping costs to Canada. This is the one I have: Enduro

Aha. Dan's Dive Shop out of St Catharine's in Ontario sells them. I will need to give them a call I think to look into it...

---------- Post Merged at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:50 PM ----------

If you are leaning towards a DUI dry suit and you happen to be near one of the upcoming DUI Demo Tour locations, you should check it out.

2012 DUI Demo Tour Participating Rally Dealers

I personally use a ScubaPro Everdry4 dry suit and really enjoy it. It's nowhere near as expensive as a trilam dry suits but you have to fit it off the rack.

I probably should have added that I have trouble fitting into stuff off the rack. I went through 17 wetsuits until I found one that would fit properly. I am busty - and NOTHING fits me well. I ended up with a Mares that is a bit too long in the arms but that would at least let me put my hands above my head when it's zipped up!

My Bare Trilam HD Pro is the best suit I have dived. Bombproof. Rear zip but easy to work with a buddy and without the extra fabric of the Trilam HD Tech. And these suits are Canadian with great service. Brass zippers. I have seen the plastic zippers of the SB fail. Go Bare Trilam HD Pro (rear zip) or HD Tech (front zip) with brass zippers. Can't be beat.

Well, if you are looking for durable in the face of abrasion, trilam suits are not going to work as well as other things. Compressed neoprene is more durable, but is heavy and doesn't dry quickly. The Fusion is light and in my experience, very difficult to damage because of the two-layer system, but it IS a bit more of a job to get on.

I don't know that you are going to find a suit that will meet all of your criteria. But with regards to the fit issue, the Fusion takes it, hands-down. That suit just accomodates a lot of body sizes and shapes, so long as you are not really HUGE in the calves.

If money is no issue, I will probably go with Santi. But I have to emphasize that I have never dived one, but from looking at it at dive shop, the build quality, fit and finish is superior to DUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom