Dry suit for mild temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a quick question for you. Are you wearing a neo or trilam in the scenario you mentioned?
I'm just try to sort out my own needs as I recently bought a DUI trilam. I have the really cold water undergarments sorted out but sometimes dive in warm 60-70F waters. Usually for about an hour.
My cold tolerance is generally pretty good.
Thanks

I'm not the original poster from above but with my trilaminate suit I picked up a set of fleece pants and jacket from REI. I don't know how thick but probably 150gr or so. I use these with a midweight base layer. These work well for me in 68-72F water.

If water is closer to 60f or i'm doing an extended runtime in 68f water then I use Fourth Element Arctics

My wife and I wear our drysuits on all dives, including 83 degree florida dives, because down deep the temp drops and over time you lose heat. I also find donning my drysuit with just a baselayer on is much easier than pulling on a wetsuit.

Drysuits are underrated in tropical waters, but where we dive in UAE it can be 34C air temps or warmer and 23C at the bottom, which is fine for the first 10 mins in a 3mm then you get cold fast.

I use a drysuit until water temps reach 26C then change to a wetsuit. For long 60-90 min dives it's a 5mm to avoid becoming cold.

I have a quick question for you. Are you wearing a neo or trilam in the scenario you mentioned?
I'm just try to sort out my own needs as I recently bought a DUI trilam. I have the really cold water undergarments sorted out but sometimes dive in warm 60-70F waters. Usually for about an hour.
My cold tolerance is generally pretty good.
Thanks

Trilam. At the 60F end of that range, I would go with a lighter weight jumpsuit (190-250g/m2). Above 70F and fleece from REI or whatever outdoor store (as macado mentioned) works fine for shorter dives.

My wife and I wear our drysuits on all dives, including 83 degree florida dives, because down deep the temp drops and over time you lose heat. I also find donning my drysuit with just a baselayer on is much easier than pulling on a wetsuit.

May I ask what type of drysuit are you diving in a trilam or crushed neoprene?

Thanks - Gary

I have seen divers using dry suit at 28C or higher water temp and with air temperature around 33C in SE Asia!!

Here's a drysuit naysayer.

A drysuit is still in my "as needed" toolbox.

They are harder to get on and off. More drag (maybe just mine?) They require constant care/diligence (seals and zipper). When they leak it is uncomfortable. They are unpredictable when they'll get damaged in transportation/use. They cost a dozen used wetsuits. There's no common catastrophic failure in a wetsuit. Urination is complicated in a drysuit (if you want it dry)... Warhammer maneuver difficult.

I'd still rather put on a well fitted double 7mm before I dive dry.

For context I only have a few hundred drysuit dives and have wetsuit dove down to 34°. Florida caves ~110 minute dives in a 6mm and hood... Second dive of the day was chilly. I have low cold tolerances.

Food for thought?
Cameron

Here's a drysuit naysayer.

A drysuit is still in my "as needed" toolbox.

They are harder to get on and off. More drag (maybe just mine?) They require constant care/diligence (seals and zipper). When they leak it is uncomfortable. They are unpredictable when they'll get damaged in transportation/use. They cost a dozen used wetsuits. There's no common catastrophic failure in a wetsuit. Urination is complicated in a drysuit (if you want it dry)... Warhammer maneuver difficult.

I'd still rather put on a well fitted double 7mm before I dive dry.

For context I only have a few hundred drysuit dives and have wetsuit dove down to 34°. Florida caves ~110 minute dives in a 6mm and hood... Second dive of the day was chilly. I have low cold tolerances.

Food for thought?
Cameron

So much I disagree with or think is misinformation I don't have time to cover it all. Reminds me of the "nobody dives dry in Mexico" misinformation

So much I disagree with or think is misinformation I don't have time to cover it all. Reminds me of the "nobody dives dry in Mexico" misinformation

Now I'm intrigued!

...I'll confirm that last bit... I've dove dry in Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom