Dry suit exhaust valve location???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Under Michael

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Divers, I just ordered my first dry suit and was interested to know where most people prefer to have their exhaust valve located.

The general concensus from those I have asked is outside of left forearm. I use a remote dump on my bc while ascending that is mounted on the upper right shoulder strap. This would allow me to elevate my elbow while deflating the bc when ascending.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks,
UM

Depends on the type of dump valve.

Auto dumps tend to be fitted front left shoulder.

Cuff dumps are fitted about 1" up from the wrist on the left arm.

I have a dry suit with a dump on the left upper arm and one with the dump in the left wrist area.

I prefer the upper arm as it is less likely to get in the way when working underwater or reaching into confined areas. It also allows you to reach over your head without automatically dumping large amounts of air. When swiming I can also keep my arm tucked in closer and just roll on my side to dump air out the shoulder. The upper arm mounted dump is also closer to your ear so in very limited or no viz, you can hear how much air you are dumping.

if you are buying a used suit, avoid chest mounted dump valves. they were pretty commom on older neoprene dry suits. They end op trapping a lot of air in the shoulder area of the suit and you end up needing a lot of weight to dive the suit.

Although I have no experience to draw from, I asked this question of several experienced drysuit folks, and ended up ordering that the valve be placed on my upper left forearm....

My TLS350 Signature should be here in approx. 3-4 weeks.

I do the same thing with my rig. Have a Viking Extreme with the dump on the upper left sleeve, and a dump on the right upper corner (corner???) of my Northern Diver X wing. I can go into a slightly headup position, raise my left arm to dump, while reaching up to my top right shoulder ring and dump the wing too. Works just great! To be able to quickly adjust air in the wing, I extended the length of the line on the dump and have a plastic snap on the shoulder ring.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
I prefer the upper arm as it is less likely to get in the way when working underwater or reaching into confined areas. It also allows you to reach over your head without automatically dumping large amounts of air. When swiming I can also keep my arm tucked in closer and just roll on my side to dump air out the shoulder. The upper arm mounted dump is also closer to your ear so in very limited or no viz, you can hear how much air you are dumping.

I'm a big fan of my left-forearm-positioned variable dump valve, which I leave full-open. I find having to roll onto my side just to dump air is a pain in the ass. All I have to do, even when horizontal, is straighten my arm out behind me, raising it a bit, and I'll vent air. No rolling required. True, the valve takes up some arm real estate for mounting computers and slates, but it's not a big deal. I've never found my valve to get in the way. Plus, when you grab your BCD dump hose (usually on the left), and hold it up in the air to dump air from your BCD, your left forearm is automatically up in the air - in the correct position to also vent air.

Left forearm! Yes, I dive on the west coast... :D

C.

Mine is on the left fore arm. I have to admit that after diving with this for a couple of years now, I am not sold that its the best position for it.

I have the most trouble with it at two times. It tends to get snagged when donning my BC. This is not a huge problem and can be dealt with easilly.

What is a bigger concern for me is dumping the suit on the ascent. Since my gages are also on the left, I find it hard (impossible) to hold/watch the gages while dumping. In order to dump I must drop the guage raise my arm to dump, and then re-aquire the guage after I've dumped.

I've dove with counter parts whom use the upper left arm strategy and they can still hold thier guage when dumping.

i guess its not something I cant live with but just though you might like to know about this annoyance.

JHAM once bubbled...

What is a bigger concern for me is dumping the suit on the ascent. Since my gages are also on the left, I find it hard (impossible) to hold/watch the gages while dumping. In order to dump I must drop the guage raise my arm to dump, and then re-aquire the guage after I've dumped.

Thats why i wear my computer on my right wrist. I can dump with my left hand and monitor my computer on my right arm. Works great.

I'm a big fan of my left-forearm-positioned variable dump valve, which I leave full-open. I find having to roll onto my side just to dump air is a pain in the ass. All I have to do, even when horizontal, is straighten my arm out behind me, raising it a bit, and I'll vent air. No rolling required. True, the valve takes up some arm real estate for mounting computers and slates, but it's not a big deal. I've never found my valve to get in the way. Plus, when you grab your BCD dump hose (usually on the left), and hold it up in the air to dump air from your BCD, your left forearm is automatically up in the air - in the correct position to also vent air.

This is the exact reason i had my valve relocated to my forearm. I have not regretted it one bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom