Dry Suit entry type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaphilic_ca

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, just figured I'd finally register and post a question. Have been reading for a while but never posted.

It's time for my first drysuit but have a hard time deciding between self entry and back entry suits. In my efforts to try to find a solution I have narrowed the search down to 2 possible candidates. Bare XCD2 Tech (self entry) or the Bare XCD2 PRO (back entry). I am aware of what the suit has to offer and what I will be getting into (pun intended) but I would like to get some information about the 2 entry styles.

Besides the obvious differences (back or front) what I'm looking for is comfort and best solution for a larger diver. Which entry method would be better to get in/out of, would be a better fit and allow for more mobility. Which model would be more forgiving and flattering to hide the good ole' barrel in the front? (not a large barrel but visible enough). Which is more suited to handle the larger body types? I heard that the more panels a suit has the better the fit - is there any truth in that?

To be blatant, which is a better large man's suit, the self entry or the back entry and why?

Interesting question. I've heard that back entry, perhaps, is easier -- it varies from suit to suit, but might require a bit less contortion.

A lot of people where I am dive in self-donning trilams, the "accordion" things where extra suit "slack" is taken up by crotch straps after you don them. I tried them only once, in a pool, felt too much like diving in a bag, and went to a back entry compressed neoprene.

(For me the contrortion level for the self-don wasn't all that bad, I just didn't like the overall feel of the suit).

Best of luck, either way!

My sugestion is a suit with a front zip you can put on yourself. I have a back entry Diving Concepts suit, I love the suit but I do not like being dependant on some else zipping me up and unzipping me after the dive. It's a much better feeling to be able to dress yourself independantly. When I bought my suit I figured someone would always be there for the zip and unzip but I have learned I much rather do it myself.

I have a front entry DUI Flx 5050, and a back (shoulder) entry DUI TLSse, both have their pros and cons.
The front entry suit IS harder to get into, but with some practice it gets easier. It's great to be able to zip & unzip my own suit and not have to deal with buddy dependance. But it does take a little longer to get into and get everything buckled & zipped by myself.

With the back entry, just pull the suit up and wait for a buddy to zip you. It works out fine if you have an attentive buddy who doesn't make you wait 10 minutes before they unzip you (especially when you need to pee). It's quicker to don and doff, but it can be frustrating when you're standing there waiting for a zip or unzip.

As far as the tummy issue, if you get a trilam suit, they're looser and don't show those little imperfections. The problem with the trilams is that the excess fabric causes more drag in the water... The more form fitting suits are nice in the water- they're sleeker (almost like a wetsuit) and don't cause drag... but they tend to show the bulges on the body- like a wetsuit does...

I had a front entry and got rid of it. Sure I could zip it up but it was tough to get my head in it. I'd rather ask a fisherman to zip me up than to own a front entry.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, let me just clarify that I am not that concerned about the visible "barrel" and trying to hide it, rather I am looking for a suit that will offer me the mobility and space I need with the barrel in place. Bulges are there to look at anyways! :D

I would like to stick with these suits (since I can get a good deal one them) and always like neoprene suits, so a shell is not an option, but a good suggestion.

Needing someone to zip/unzip me is not an issue since my current suit uses a back zipper as well and we have that down packed.

aquaphilic_ca:
Needing someone to zip/unzip me is not an issue since my current suit uses a back zipper as well and we have that down packed.

Since you said this is your first drysuit I assume your refering to an existing wetsuit that you have down packed. Zipping into a back-zip[ drysuit is a whole different deal. It can be done and undone with a lanyard but keeping undergarments clear and getting a nice tru pull on the zipper will be a challenging feat. You will also be prone to straining and jamming the zipper doing a back zip solo. I assume you realize that the back zip drysuit will zip across the shoulders.

Having your buddy zip you is no big deal. If you can't count on him/her for that it's time to rethink things.

The other consideration is how position effects zipper life due to bending and pulling. I know back zip is not optimal, I forget what is preferred.

Pete

spectrum:
Since you said this is your first drysuit I assume your refering to an existing wetsuit that you have down packed. Zipping into a back-zip[ drysuit is a whole different deal. It can be done and undone with a lanyard but keeping undergarments clear and getting a nice tru pull on the zipper will be a challenging feat. You will also be prone to straining and jamming the zipper doing a back zip solo. I assume you realize that the back zip drysuit will zip across the shoulders.

Having your buddy zip you is no big deal. If you can't count on him/her for that it's time to rethink things.

The other consideration is how position effects zipper life due to bending and pulling. I know back zip is not optimal, I forget what is preferred.

Pete

My current suit is a Mares Isotherm semi-dry suit that uses a back mounted dry-suit zipper with a zipper guard underneath. Same place, same location as the back entry suits. That is why I said zipping it not an issue, since my buddy knows how and is very helpful with it.

But since it is a wet suit the fit is different then a dry, thus I cannot compare the two.

How is the zipper location an issue?

aquaphilic_ca:
My current suit is a Mares Isotherm semi-dry suit that uses a back mounted dry-suit zipper with a zipper guard underneath. Same place, same location as the back entry suits. That is why I said zipping it not an issue, since my buddy knows how and is very helpful with it.

But since it is a wet suit the fit is different then a dry, thus I cannot compare the two.

How is the zipper location an issue?

Since tou have a semi-dry at this time it may not be that different, assuming the same zipper layout. Keeping undergarments under control would be trickier if done solo.

I got the impresison you intended to don and doff solo. With the helpful buddy all is well.

Pete

front zip is for a solo diver and not a cheap zipper to replace,
Rear zip is just fine less zip to screw up!
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom