Dry Suit entry type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a fairly large guy. 6 ft 260lb.
I have about 70 dives on my current drysuit a USDI shell with a front zipper.
I have no problems what so ever taking it on and off by myself. I do think that is a big plus. Beside solo diving, and the annoyance of finding help, you also have to trust them that they completely closed the zipper. I had a neoprene dry suit, with a back zipper, I was also able to dawn by myself. But I also have undergarment with holes it from doing this, and I felt it was hard on the zipper.
I also prefer the shell as it doesn't have that bulky wetsuit feel you get with a neoprene suit. For me, the shell is more comfortable. It’s also always dry inside and out by the next day’s dive.

But probably the biggest plus to my current suit is I can pee without taking it off. Just unzip.

Just bought a White's Catalyst front entry. echo the "pee without taking it off" as one of the selling points. Was told that the zipper is much more expensive to replace and that it takes way more stress in the front than in the back. However I wanted to be able to get in and out myself so am willing to live with that. I don't particularly find it difficult to get in and out. Tried the back entry and while it was "easier" neither were difficult.

I like it. It is ok to in and out of,,,,yes there is a bit of contortion, but it fits me great. A little help makes things easier on the on and off, but you don't absolutely need it. Go for overall fit. The rest follows.

I guess I am lost here, as never diving a rear entry suit.. I have virtually no problems donning my Front Entry suit...even with my giant mellon sized head and a Zip seal.. The suit slides on like butter...no contoring involved.. And I dont have to trust that somebody else didnt zip my suit fully, and I end up with wet undies.... yuck..

cbsaw:
...no contoring involved.. ..

Don't have to tilt your head to the side to get under the zipper as you enter the neck seal?

I have no issues whatsoever with donning my front entry DUI TLS350 - granted it's a Signature Series so the fit is perfect. No contortion necessary to get my head in and I really like the front zipper. Mostly because (as others have said) to assure myself that it's done up correctly, all the way, without any undies stuck in it. Easy peeing just isn't an option for us women (unless you want to go the Depends route). ACK!

No Fish:
Don't have to tilt your head to the side to get under the zipper as you enter the neck seal?

Got to love the expanding suit... I barely have to twist around at all.. The only issues I have are removing the suit, but that is not because of the front entry, it is because of the fit of the Zip seal fit around my head, but even that is minimal..... or if I am being stupid and forgot to unclip the crotch strap, before removal.. That makes it tough sometimes.. I usually draw weird looks and chuckles as I am all twisted up in myself.... But if the crotch stap is undone... not an issue at all...

SadiesMom:
Easy peeing just isn't an option for us women (unless you want to go the Depends route). ACK!

Or those of us to scared to cut a hole in a 2000.00 dry suit.... :D

Thanks guys for all the info so far....keep it coming I like all the different ideas.

Since we have covered the donning what about once in the suit? Since the self entry suits (in this case the chosen Bare) have that little "skirt" or extra amount of fabric around the bottom, will that allow for extra movement and mobility since it can move up/down a few inches giving more travel? Will that help me reach valves and gear under water better? Or will a back entry be just as flexible and expanding regardless of the lack of the "skirt"?

I like the idea of being able to relieve oneself without having to strip down once on the surface, somehow I am not gutsy enough to cut up a perfectly good suit, and also have to bare in mind the effect of the cold.....to quote George on Seinfeld: "Shrinkage, there was definite shrinkage!" so I am not sure how much I would trust the catheter idea.

Another question I always wanted to ask, how good are those so called "warm neck" options on the suits? I've seen that some of the suits have the extra neoprene around the neck seal and the wrist seal, are they beneficial or more of a pain?

Also on the Bare suits where the seals attach to the suit, it looks like there is something missing there, shouldn't there be some sort of tape on those glue lines? It just looks unfinished somehow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom