dry suit DUI vs Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Techguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I am looking to get my first Dry suit and I have been told about both DUI and Fusions. I was basically sold on a fusion but someone told me I was making a big mistake that I'll be much happier with DUI. I am basically a recreational diver looking to move into Tech over the next few years. which is better?

Hi I am looking to get my first Dry suit and I have been told about both DUI and Fusions. I was basically sold on a fusion but someone told me I was making a big mistake that I'll be much happier with DUI. I am basically a recreational diver looking to move into Tech over the next few years. which is better?

Have you considered the Bare Nex-Gen?

Seasoft also makes a fine dry suit as well.

I have been dabbling with the idea of getting a dry suit. I was told that no matter which brand I went with get trilaminate. The ones with neoprene still have compression issues. A big selling point for DUI was 1) not much more to get it special ordered to your size and 2) life time guaranty. I am not sure if the other brands offer life time, but that seemed to be a good deal to me. Good Luck and be sure to let us know what you went with. I like to follow up and get peoples opinions because a salesman/woman will say anything!

I'm a recreational diver with a Fusion. I have over 150 dives on it and I love it. I'm able to do all sorts of dives on it (boat dives, getting through the surf, rocky beach entries...all kinds of wear and tear). The only leaking issue I've had with it is from wearing out the latex neck seal and getting sand in the dump valve...which can happen with any drysuit. And FWIW, I think there's a handful of divers in the Pacific Northwest who are tech divers and dive Fusions.

When I was looking to purchase a drysuit, I was also considering a DUI (used or new) and a Fusion. Ultimately I went with a Fusion because it was cheaper...and I'm happy I did.

TechGuy:

You have come to the right forum. You will hear from a number of divers who are actually using various suits. If you are interested only in a shell/trilam suit you may want to check:
USIA :: Seriously Dry these folks make quality suits at reasonable prices. If you are considering micro-cell neoprene we offer our 4th generation model @ www.diveapollo.com

Good luck in your search.

That's a BS recommendation.

I currently own three drysuits: Bare XCD2 (crushed neo), Whites Fusion (mixed), and DUI TLS-350 (trilam). I despise the DUI ("dry until immersed") TLS ("tears like silk"). Personally, I'd be hard-pressed to ever consider another DUI suit. I love the Bare (durability, warmth), and like the Fusion (light weight, mobility). Once you factor in cost, other suits are even more attractive than the DUIs. About the only thing I think the DUI suits have going for them is that they look nice. If someone's primary concern is fashion, buy DUI. If you want a dry drysuit for a reasonable cost, shop elsewhere.

I have been dabbling with the idea of getting a dry suit. I was told that no matter which brand I went with get trilaminate. The ones with neoprene still have compression issues. A big selling point for DUI was 1) not much more to get it special ordered to your size and 2) life time guaranty. I am not sure if the other brands offer life time, but that seemed to be a good deal to me. Good Luck and be sure to let us know what you went with. I like to follow up and get peoples opinions because a salesman/woman will say anything!

There are some good online deals around now on demo Fusion suits. I ordered one, haven't got it yet. I went Fusion because that was the suit I used for the DS certification class and I was happy with the fit and mobility. I'm going to add a pee valve myself, probably the OMS.

I currently own three drysuits: Bare XCD2 (crushed neo), Whites Fusion (mixed), and DUI TLS-350 (trilam). I despise the DUI ("dry until immersed") TLS ("tears like silk"). Personally, I'd be hard-pressed to ever consider another DUI suit. I love the Bare (durability, warmth), and like the Fusion (light weight, mobility). Once you factor in cost, other suits are even more attractive than the DUIs. About the only thing I think the DUI suits have going for them is that they look nice. If someone's primary concern is fashion, buy DUI. If you want a dry drysuit for a reasonable cost, shop elsewhere.

Hey, Rainer, would you talk about what kind of environment you had the TLS-350 in? How'd it tear, etc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom