Dry Suit Donning............

Which way is your dry suit configured for on and off?

• Back Entry...

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Front Entry...

Votes: 59 55.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a conspicuous lack of information here, I'll explain. Your zipper location preference can mean many things. Those who prefer rear entry may not plan on diving alone, in which case location isn't an issue! The rear entry is also more forgiving on the zipper some say, although your harness, or BC straps will ride on it when getting in and out of the water. Remember..........if you're going to get into a rear entry by yourself you may in advertantly bring thermal material into the path of the zipper, or zip up at hazzardous angles that aren't complimenting the zippers life span.
Front entry has it's pit falls as well. Some prefer an angular zip from shoulder to waist. While it's fairly easy to zip your self the zipper is exposed to bending and potential wear from the BC and or harness straps. While still easier to done alone than the rear entry, it too has it's things to think of.
Others like my self prefer the bib version, the zipper is located between the navel and nipples, running across from right to left and protected with a flap like cover. Some find the straps running in opposite directions around your back and meeting in front to snap together an issue, but I have no problem with them. I've also seen a version like this with out a flap, although still bearing the straps and snaps.
The zipper, short of the suit it's self is probably the most expensive item on the suit. They are very durable, however they aren't indestructable. Like any piece of dive equipment they need care and consideration. These suits are as different as we are. They aren't better than the other, they just offer alternatives. You will have to sift through these alternatives to decide for yourself what best compliments you and your style of diving.....
Wreck/Tec

I prefer front entry. I used rear entry and when I purchased my custom suit I ordered a front entry style. Besides, I don't need to ask someone to zip me up and I can make sure for myself that it is zipped all the way closed.

:shark:

For me, its more if the suit has a relief zipper or not.

I have both front and back zipped drysuits. Either way you have to dive with a buddy so having a back zip is no problem. I think the only advantage of having front zip is for self-sufficiency.

Just my .02

Aardal

Front Entry Andy's DS-3. Had back entry in the past go for the front. Must have a P-valve. I'd go for Halcyon unless you need the extra 3# weighting of the Dive Rite :D

Dave D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom