Dry Suit Donning............

Which way is your dry suit configured for on and off?

• Back Entry...

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Front Entry...

Votes: 59 55.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have/had 3 drysuits. 1 neoprene, two viking.
1st neopene lasted 5 years
2nd suit Viking pro 10 years, 800 dives,
3rd and current suit Viking HD, 2 years, 200 dives still counting.
All have been shoulder (back entry).
There is less stress on the zipper across the shoulders.
Zipping up is a snap. When alone....... which should be never!
(however this has occurred when doing pool repairs)
You just need a 3-4 foot line with a snap swivel on it.
Snap it to the loop, stretch the arm straight,
pull the line behind your head and shoulders, pulling the zipper slide across your back.
Once closed disconect the snap, reuse for opening.

Mike D

Have both, DUI TLS 350 needed front zipper in 4 years, but I prefer not having to get someone to zip me up; which is what I have to do with Henderson 7mm, which is actually warmer. Thermax under 7mm and heavy Andies Undies with DUI.

My back entry has never gave me a problem, and I can always find someone to zip me up...I've tried front loaders and they work great, just can't justify the money diff...

I can get out of my rear entry without help. Its a bit trickier doing it up, but not a problem as I have a buddy (or friendly passer by).

My clubmates front entry zip leaks at the bottm where the weight belt rub it. A little pad of neoprene now might save a few pennies later.

PS how about that relief when first crack the zip open (if you forgot to inflate on the way out). The release of pressure was described by my friend as an 'all over ski-boot feeling'

Okay you guys, this is another stupid new to scuba question.

I wanna know more about these P-Valves. My body has a sick sense of humor. Get me cold and or wet and yup, I gotta go.

I was seriously considering buying some condom cathitors (sp?) but if there's already a fix for this problem, I'm interested.

I sure as hell do not want to have to lean my drysuit over the rail of a boat to empty the boots. :) At least when I get a drysuit. I still have plenty to buy first, console, dive knive, fins, mask, weights..........

dotyj once bubbled...
I wanna know more about these P-Valves. My body has a sick sense of humor. Get me cold and or wet and yup, I gotta go.

I was seriously considering buying some condom cathitors (sp?) but if there's already a fix for this problem, I'm interested.

Since you are new to scuba, I'm assuming you aren't doing any long dives...I'm in a similar situation.

I dive exclusively in a dry suit. Unless you are spending immensely long amounts of time in the suit, you shouldn't have a problem. A dry suit, with all the undies underneath, allows you to stay warm and avoid the squeeze of neoprene wetsuits which are two causes for needing to pee. I hop into a wetsuit and I have to go within a few minutes. In a drysuit, I'll do two dives and a surface interval before I have any issues. P-valves are mostly a necessity for people who are spending hours underwater doing deco hangs, caving, etc.

Golden rule #1 hydrate yourself with lots of fluids before any dive. Golden rule #2 install a p-valve. Doesn't matter what kind of diving your doing, if you hydrate like you should then your going to need to drain. So either wear a wet suit or purchase a p-valve. This is my opinon. opt for the p-valve

I'm fairly new to drysuits, but it seems to me that squeeze is much more noticeable dry than wet. And the need to relieve yourself while diving dry is much more prevalent than diving wet. Besides, getting in and out of the latex seals is always a chore. And I still have a newbie paranoia about the seals ripping.
So I'm all for getting the P-valve... in fact it's on order now.

In any case, make sure you take care of the urges before heading into the water if you decide not to budget for a p-valve.

Putting the P valvee in the suit can be easy. The hardest part is putting a hole in a perfectly dry drysuit. I put in a few years ago (Halcyon Balanced P-Valve) and love it for long dives. Dive Rite/OMS sell one called the unrinator, it is made of SS and is way heavy and can be subsituted for an UW hockey puck :D - Si Tech also sells one, but it looks like an exhaust valve.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom