Dry Suit diving with no gloves??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK I'm sure there's an explanation for this but it seems wild to me. I was watching a video about shore Diving in Monterey. Three of the featured divers were not wearing gloves in fact one of them was diving deep just north of Monastary. That's some cold water right near the trench. They were all wearing Dry Suits. How do they do that or why?

Dunno but my hands froze at the Breakwater the one time I attempted it without gloves (my buddy was like "yeah I never wear gloves" - so I tried it). Big mistake. Number fingers I could barely move.

No point being cold if you don't have to.

I don't dive with gloves or hood in water above 50F. To me that is warm water.

Anything down to 45'ish without gloves is fine. Anything below that I really notice the numbing of the hands.

d33ps1x:

Anything down to 45'ish without gloves is fine. Anything below that I really notice the numbing of the hands.
Man, you're tougher than I am! The water temps here get in the 60's in summer and you won't catch me diving without gloves, much less without a hood!:ice: I do give up the Argon if the temps are >45F, though.

Snowbear:
Man, you're tougher than I am! The water temps here get in the 60's in summer and you won't catch me diving without gloves, much less without a hood!:ice: I do give up the Argon if the temps are >45F, though.

Grew up on Lake Huron and summer vacations on Superior. Man! Swimming in that lake hurts the bones.

Just having the drysuit feels like a priviledge.

d33ps1x:
Grew up on Lake Huron and summer vacations on Superior. Man! Swimming in that lake hurts the bones.

Just having the drysuit feels like a priviledge.
Where I grew up here in AK we had a spring fed creek running through the property. It gets up to ~36F in the summer. As kids we used to play and "swim" in that creek for hours - come out red as lobsters. I can not imagine now how we did that! Now when I help my mom clean it out every couple years I use neoprene waders. Aging has made me a wuss!

It all depends on individual tolerances to cold - My set up does not really changes winter to summer - same hood and drygloves - even in the high 60s.

I judt put lighter undies under the suit and lighter lining inside gloves

Vlada

d33ps1x:

WOW! No gloves is one thing but no hood? That is some serious tolerence!

I tend to lose the use of my hands in any water even with 5mm gloves on. This time of year its painful to say the least after 30 minutes.

Im considering 3 finger mitts as apparently they are far warmer than 5mm semi-dry gloves.
Proper dry gloves all have severe problems in my view.

No hood is just crazy - i start considering no hood when water reaches about 27c/80f :)

I wear identical dive kit here all year round, same undersuit, socks, gloves, hood.

Back
Top Bottom