Dry Suit Boots? Input needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what ever happened with this?

I'm looking to get my first dry suit and so I have a vested interest.

It looked like there was potential for USIA to develop their own rock boot, but there's still nothing on their website.

I have since changed my thoughts on this after having done about 30 dives with rock boots. I recently bought a USIA Techniflex and I am diving it for the first time this coming Saturday. I will report back either Saturday evening or Sunday morning about how the boots feel. When I got the suit last week, I tried it on and getting into the suit and boots was much easier than donning a suit and then rock boots over the socks. I like the feel of the boots USIA puts on their suits. I am really looking forward to diving this suit.

I'm on my second dry suit. First one had integrated boots. Second one, doesn't.

I didn't have an issue with the integrated boots being too loose ever. Since I don't have a custom dry suit, the second one without the integrated boots has a fairly large sock (my feet are a US size 10, on the wide side) that I cram into my dive boot, which I don't really like, as some of the sock sticks out (maybe a picture would help). It doesn't bother when diving. With integrated boots, as long as you brought your drysuit, you have your boots with you!

Having lived with both, I prefer integrated boots.

I really don't like socks with boots. First off, stuffing the socks in the boots is a PITA. They never get situated properly, and I always seem to have folds under some part of my foot where it isn't comfortable. Second, in all the insulation we use in Puget Sound, bending over to get boots on and fastened is a lot of work. Third, if you have a boot over a sock, you always run the risk of having the boot come off, which takes the boot and fin out of your reach. Having had that happen to me 1000 feet back in a cave, I vowed I would never use a sock/boot system again. I have relented a bit, because my Fusion Sport suit has socks, and I use a shoe over them, but that is only in open water where losing a boot would be at worst a nuisance.

if you have a boot over a sock, you always run the risk of having the boot come off, which takes the boot and fin out of your reach..

This.

And also:

Fourth, it's not trivial to find the exact tradeoff between boots laced so tight that they constrict circulation in cold water and boots laced so loose that one of them slips off.

Fifth, untying frozen laces in sub-freezing temps sucks.

I've had socks/boots, and I've had integrated softboots. To me, the inconveniences wtih integrated boots are less than the inconveniences with socks and boots.

The differences in opinion is why a serious DS manufacturer should offer the customer the choice of socks, integrated softboots or integrated stiff boots.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

The above comments TSandM made about bending over to tie rock boots with thick undergarments on is exactly why my wife and I went for the USIA suits with integrated boots. My LDS had a DUI suit (sorry for naming competitors here USIA) that they talked me into trying on. Sliding into a suit with the boots already built was awesome so I told my wife about it. When we went to the scuba show in Seattle to check out their suits and met the USIA guys we were sold. Great guys and great suits, I can't wait to dive mine tomorrow. TSandM, if you happen to be at Cove 2 tomorrow look us up, we will show off our new suits to you...:wink:

So, we went to Cove 2 in West Seattle to try out the new suits and seeing as this is a thread about the boots I will stay on track & keep it to that subject. I don't have the USIA socks yet (that's gonna change) so we just used thicker socks for now. The boots fit GREAT! There wasn't any flopping around, my finning was really good throughout the dive. One thing I will say off topic though is...I LOVE THIS SUIT!!! It felt great the entire dive, there wasn't "huge" bubble to manage like some say. It was an excellent first dive in my USIA Techniflex except the vis scuked...LOL!!! :D

I wear thick wool calf length socks. They provide plenty of warmth and don't bunch up like dive socks. I never notice water temperature with my feet any more.
Hunting2.jpg

Thanks Max, I can take wool but my wife absolutely hates the feel of it so I will find something different for her. :cool2:

I hate the feel of std wool socks as well. When I used to ski though they did keep my feet the warmest. The trick was a thin pair of silk socks under them. Most ski and snowboard stores/sites should have them.

My favorite base layer socks: Woolpower 400gsm wool terry socks. 64% merino wool, 32% polyamide, 4% elastane. Warm, comfortable and durable.

My favorite outer socks: Devold Nansen. 80% wool, 18% polyamide, 2% elastan. Really thick and fluffy.

And of course a DS boot large enough to accomodate my feet with all that insulation, without restricting circulation even a little. I've used this combo for up to an hour in 4C water, and haven't been particularly cold. It helps of course a lot that I'm making certain that my core is nice and warm. If I were on the chilly side, my hands and feet would have been cold almost no matter how much I put on...

Neither of those socks are used exclusively for diving, they are what I've ended up using after a couple of decades of trying out different products under pretty crappy outdoors conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom