Dry Suit Boots? Input needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USIA

Contributor
Reaction score
For the past 20 years, USIA has used a molded rubber boot. We are considering going in a different direction, and we are really wanting to get some input from Scubaboard members as to what they like and what they don't like when it comes to their boots.

Do you like Attached boots, or over boots?

Do you like neoprene or rubber boots?

Also, if any of you are at DEMA this year, please stop by the booth and say hi to Kim and Jerry!

Thanks!

I am currently in need of new boots/socks on my drysuit and have been asking others for their thoughts and opinions. So far out of 24 people surveyed, 22 are in favor of socks with overboots and 2 are in favor of boots.

I will be getting socks this time.

FWIW: one of the reasons I got another Viking was the integrated boots.

I like the over boots (over the neoprene socks attached to the suit). It gives flexibility in which boot to use, depending on where one dives. I do a lot of shore diving, so I need a pretty tough boot to constantly go over rough areas.

I have been diving with a molded boot for 10 years now. I am now changing out to a neoprene sock with an overboot of my choosing. I just prefer the snug feeling of an overboot compared to the loose feeling of a molded boot.

Another thumbs up for soft sock/rock boots combination. My GF initially purchased her drysuit with molded boots and a mont or so after diving with it got it modified to a soft sock and rockboot system with no regret whatsoever

About a decade ago I injured my metatarsal arch walking on rocks in rubber dry suit boots. It took six months to heal. Since then, I have pretty much insisted on attached socks with an outer boot (currently Whites EVO 3 boots).

A good outer boot allows for much better footing, traction and protection on rough terrain, but a lace up outer boot also ensures that your feet stay in the boots, even if head down or fully inverted. A good outer boot also gives you much better feel and control of the fins.

If you are doing anything other than an integrated sock and over boot, you're at least a decade behind the times.

And, for those who do not like boots, a thin integrated sock (not uncompressed neoprene) allows the diver to use wet suit boots as well - and that can be an advantage for a diver who dives both wet and dry and does not want to buy two sets of fins.

----

Edit: In regard to the post below, I didn't like Rock Boots either - but they are just crappy boots.

Reactions: D_B
I started with Rock boots, but did not like the lack of feel for the fins. I then switched to sneakers--converse all stars. I was generally happy with that, but I switched for bizarre reasons that have nothing to do with anything but myself. I now use neoprene wet boots. The only problem I have with that relates only to me and a medical issue with one of my feet (Morton's Neuroma).

I like the feeling of control I get with the ability to control the tightness of an overboot. I can wear a variety of socks and still get the desired degree of tightness and control. I really think something along the lines of a converse all-star--essentially a flexible rock boot--would be the best thing for me.

What do you think is the most important thing in the design of the rock boot? I like the idea of lacing on the side with a pull cord instead of laces. I just don't like the idea of knocking off someone else's product and importing crap from China. Another thing I'm wondering is that we use both a heel on our boots, and a flat sole. Our heeled boot seems more popular. Most of the "Rock Boots" I've seen are flat soled which seem like they would be uncomfortable walking on rocks.

Although I do not have dry suit experience, I can say from wearing fishing waders for years that the neoprene sock and over boot would get my vote. I like the tighter feel rather than the floppy feel. I just don't like floppy...

Back
Top Bottom