Dry Gloves - Ultima vs Kubi systems over latex?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CFDAlden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Trying to decide on the Kubi system vs the Ultima system.

The Kubi system can easily be installed with the pre existing latex seals in my DUI CNse.

The Ultima, from what I can find, says compatible with silicone seals, but never mentions latex.

Anyone have experience with Ultima and latex?

2nd for rolock, I use with my dui suit and it works well. The one drawback to adding a system onto your existing seals is in makes the overall sleeve length a couple of inches longer.

My Kubi have been attached to my DUI silicon ZipSeal cuffs for 150+ dives...no issue.
The only time I ripped a silicon cuff was when I was dumb enough to be standing on one while hiking up my drysuit. Luckily I had a spare and changed it in a few minutes.

Does it have to be one of those two? Have you considered pullover gloves and Viking rings?

Viking rings can be installed in any dry suit, either permanently (glue the rings to the sleeves), or just put them on non-permanently (they just fit over the sleeves, trapping the material between two rings).

I definitely recommend getting them glued in. That means that if you tear a wrist seal, you can just pop a new one in in a few minutes.

Then you pull those "dishwasher" style gloves over the rings ($13). Have been using this system for years - I almost always dive wet, but it's nice to have the option. MUCH simpler than any locking ring system, very reliable. And if you ever tear a glove, just pull another one out of your bag and you are good to go.

Here's what you need:

Viking Cuff Ring Set | Dive Rescue International

Super Grip Black Dry Glove

And of course, some sort of glove liner. These are awesome.

G1 Glove Liner - Fourth Element

I have no direct experience with the Ultima dryglove system but I believe it's a copy-clone of the old Diving Concepts dry glove system which I am very familiar with. If so, it's a good system but I like the Kubi rings because they come in different diameters rings.

I use 80mm Kubi rings on all my drysuits. If you have smaller hands then its' nice not to have huge rings on your drysuit. For my DUI suits I installed them on existing zipseals (or onto glued latex seals). I have other suits with the Kubi rings glued in as a replacement seal and dry glove system.

I can only assume the Ultima is compatible with latex also. It's usually silicone seals that are an issue. Some silicone seals are too soft and can tear easily so it's not always a good idea to sandwich rings between them however having said that I used also used Kubi rings with the DUI silicone zipseals with no issues.

They fit my hands, at least the rolock 90’s do, I haven’t used the 3
I can't seem yo find the 90's in the US, only the 3's.

Will the Rolock system fit larger hands? I don't see a sizing chart. Looking at the Rolock 3.
They fit my hands, at least the rolock 90’s do, I haven’t used the 3
I can't seem yo find the 90's in the US, only the 3's.
dris has/had them but the 3 is for suit mounted seals and the 90 is for si tech oval and similar if memory serves, google RoLock and the info is there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom