Dry gloves for shorter fingers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swong17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Random question and probably a long shot but does anyone have any recommendations for a glove brand that works well for small hands with short but wider fingers?

I have a Kubi dry glove system and the AlphaTec gloves were far too skinny for my fingers once I put a liner on. They don't comfortably fit until I'm wearing a size large but at that point I've got a half inch to inch extra space on the end of each finger, which has a tendency to get caught when I'm clipping or attaching things. Also do photography so the clumsier dexterity that comes with empty space in my fingers is especially annoying.

Any suggestions welcome!

Showa 720.
1688615012206.png

Reactions: Zef
Ah shoot. I actually tried those after the AlphaTec and couldn't for the life of me get them installed on my rings because the liner made it too thick and stiff :confused: Thank you though!

The thick textured Kubi gloves have shorter and thicker fingers.

They’re a lot stronger and warmer than thinner gloves but you loose a lot of feeling. V.comfortable on a longer and colder dive though.

the older showa 660 had fatter fingers than the 720. the 460/490 are the best after removing the liner, but also cost like 5X as much as the 660.

You can call Showa and discuss with them what's going on, that you're looking for a smaller glove. I wouldn't mention diving (and then have to explain all that), but they'll send you a few pairs for free to try. Good folks.

Ah shoot. I actually tried those after the AlphaTec and couldn't for the life of me get them installed on my rings because the liner made it too thick and stiff :confused: Thank you though!
Have you tried heating up the gloves in warm to hot water to soften them up before installation? I did that for my ultimate rings and it helped a lot, kind of like heating up a console boot to remove and replace different components.

You can call Showa and discuss with them what's going on, that you're looking for a smaller glove. I wouldn't mention diving (and then have to explain all that), but they'll send you a few pairs for free to try. Good folks.
It is my understanding that SHOWA and another company were working with Seajay (Deep South Divers) on testing various models of gloves, so it should not cause a problem if one were to mention the gloves would be used for diving.

One can also request a sample directly from their product webpages. If you visit several of their product pages and select "Request a Sample", each additional glove model will appear. Glove size is selected on the checkout page....if requested, SHOWA will send multiple sizes of a glove model for one to test and select best fit, but for this it seems one will have to call their customer service number:
800-241-0323

A recent look at their website indicates they have developed a series of nitrile gloves beyond the 720. They now list the following nitrile glove models:
CS700
CS701
CS710
CS711
CS720
CS721
NSK724

On the list above, the glove models from 717 down to 747 do not have the polyester/acrylic support liner inside (the thin material the gloves like the 720 are molded over)...perhaps these would be easier to mount on Kubi rings.

The different models above mainly differ in palm coating and cuff length, but there may be some nuances in how each model fits. Best to call the customer service number to discuss any questions one might have.

-Z

Wow, thank you everyone! This was way more information than I thought I would get! I'll check out these recommendations and tips. Maybe there's hope for me yet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom