Wet dome or dry dome ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll probably just get the cheapest seafrogs case with the flat port (it can take the 10-18 and 16-50). And add a wet dome to it (6inch or 8inch if I manage to find the old ones). So I keep that flexibility while diving.

That won't work; the basic bundled port has no threading and is approximately 100mm wide on the inside, where threading would go if it had it. Mounting something in front of it would require some kind of adapter to clamp around the outside circumference of the port, and while such things exist for other systems, I am entirely unsure whether they will fit this one. As you can see in the tests that I linked, the 10mm focal length is basically unusable behind flat glass - if you want to use the 10-18mm, you must use a dome, whereas the 16-50mm can be used with the separate short macro port and add-on wet lenses. Look at Nauticam port chart for Sony N85 system for examples.

Yeah that's a problem :(

And they don't even sell the 8inch dome directly with the case, all you can buy is case with 6inch dome. I'm starting to regret my old case!

Nauticam is clearly out of my budget at the moment unfortunately...

And they don't even sell the 8inch dome directly with the case, all you can buy is case with 6inch dome. I'm starting to regret my old case!

All packages come with the basic flat port, it is not excluded when you buy a bundle with a dome or macro port.

Nauticam is clearly out of my budget at the moment unfortunately...

I referenced Nauticam port chart because it is very informative insofar as how various lenses and ports work together, such as angles of view and working distances. You can consult it and expect similar offers from other manufacturers to work in a similar way.

By the way, regarding the close-ups in the photos that I posted, I have to add that there was a fair bit of cropping involved.

Thanks for clarifying on the cropping!
Yeah that's my problem, I don't need the basic flat port with the 100mm thread. I either need the macro flat port with a 67mm thread (to add my wet dome / diopters and use the 16-50) or the 8inch dome port.

Yeah, well, it's take it or leave it - even with the mostly useless port bundled in (for the reference, it does not have any threading), it's still far cheaper than any competition without any ports.

True. I was comparing it to the first version of the case (that I had), the translucid blue one.
I might actually buy it again, 250 usd, flat port with 67mm thread...

Don't; you'll be artificially limiting yourself, and the old housing does not have a vacuum port, which is an extremely useful feature - I never dive mine without the vacuum valve flashing green. Also, with the old housing, you can only ever use 16-50mm and 30mm macro, nothing else.

Yeah but it's cheap, I regret selling mine for 100 euros (I though I'd never dive again with the a6500)... I honnestly don't feel that worried about the vacuum, I always test to see if there's a leak before I get in the water (and these cameras are resistant, I dropped it a few times in the sea/river (without case), same with my drone, they've always survived :D).

Other option is to get the seafrogs with standard + macro port for 447 usd and the 8inch dome for 275 , that's 722 usd! I know it's still 4 times cheaper than other brands, but I'm probably gonna upgrade my camera soon so I don't want to invest too much (but also don't want to go on a dive holiday without anything, or just with a gopro).

I'll try to see if I can find a cheap second hand for the salted line, that would be ideal :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom