Dry gloves for Catalyst or Kodiak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akirawut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a used Whites drysuit, the seller said it was a kodiak, although from looking around online I am not so sure. Either way it's a solid black bi-laminate suit with latex seals and a diagonal self entry zipper across the front.

I have been using a set of the friction fit si-tech glove rings, but I am having issues keeping it dry. I am using the biggest inner ring that I could manage to seat, the blue one.

I am wondering about getting the permanent rings installed? How much does it cost to have the whites factory install a set of the permanent rings on the suit?

Thanks,
-Tom

The only difference between a Kodiak and a catalyst is the reflective piping.
Kodiak's are military issue so they don't have the reflective piping.

How about getting a Viking Sleeve Ring Kit - you can install them yourself easily. As to a glove, you can use something like a Marigold rubber glove.

Hawkwood:That's what I am using now, however with the SI-Tech rings. Do the Viking rings work any better, or are they more of the same?

Thanks,
-Tom

I do not have the flair with words to describe the Viking rings - "sandwich" the latex seal between the two rubber rings and you are done. Takes less than a minute to put the rings on or take them off. Once you don the suit, simply pull a $3 dollar pair of rubber gloves over the rings. No bayonets, no o-rings, no friction fits.

Hey Tom,
The other difference between a Kodiak suit and the cataylst Classic, is the Kodiak will also have a relief zip installed. have you done any kind of leak test on the glove system to see exactly where the water might be coming through? If you have any kind of crease or fold around the ring it will leak. To have permenatly installed rings you would be looking at around $200.00 MSRP. If you want to drop me a line we can go over some other options as well. You can reach me at 866-652-8556.
Thanks Doug.

Still trying to figure out which way I want to go here. I have stumbled across the diving concepts dry glove system. This system looks pretty solid. Does anyone have experience using a set of these on the Whites shell suits. I am specifically curious as to how well it works out with that extra 3/4" or so of shell material that overlaps the seal?

Other's experiences may differ. My son and I have had the Diving Concepts gloves on both a Catalyst and and a Nexus suit. They are very difficult to put on - however once on they equally difficult to remove. The gloves "snap" on using an o-ring.

The Viking ring system is much simpler and certainly provides good dexterity.

Back
Top Bottom