Dry-Five not dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used these gloves for the first time last weekend, and one thing I noticed was that they didn't keep water out. My wetsuit is a Mares Flexa 8.6.5, which has smoothskin seals on the inside of the cuffs. I layered the glove seals with the suit cuff properly, but I found after each dive I had a significant amount of water in the gloves. Not that my hands were cold or anything, far from it, the water was trapped by the glove design and warmed nicely, but I was under the impression these were supposed to be true dry gloves. I checked the seals on the seams by filling the glove with water and found no leaks, so I assume water is getting in thru the cuffs. The gloves are size large and fit perfectly.

I emailed XS customer service and their response said that the gloves really aren't true dry gloves and that getting water in them is normal, but that because of the seals, there's no flushing, which is what I have experienced. They said that customers that have used the gloves with dry suits have experienced near dry results. Most retailers are claiming the gloves are true dry though. They're definitely better than the aqualung thermocline gauntlets I have.

Last edited:
TBF they say semi-dry on both the glove and the label, when my mate tried them on his drysuit with neo seals his hands came out steaming but his suspects it was actually sweat! (in about 10 degree C water for reference)

They're great gloves regardless. They thoroughly trounce my aqua lung thermocline gauntlets.

I've just tried proper dry gloves for the first time and in cold (4 degress C) water the difference really isn't that great, drygloves are easier to put on and as your hands stay dry they definitely warm up a little faster post-dive,but the differnce isn't that huge.

As promised I used mine in 37 degree water under the ice. Had them on my hands on the surface while setting up and after 38 minutes in the water my hands were still warm. Toes got a little cold but I was very comfortable. There was water in them but with so little movement it warmed up and stayed warm. I love these gloves. Better than my dry gloves that gave me too little feedback on clips and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom