Dry Fill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm..
IMHO, a water bath is ridiculous. Filling the tanks slower should be the only prescription. If someone is in a rush it means that their time mangement sucks--and they have other problems that you can't solve at that point.

SparticleBrane:
Hmm..
If someone is in a rush it means that their time mangement sucks--and they have other problems that you can't solve at that point.

Your humble opinion is wrong. What kind of time management are you talking about?

Do you know how long it takes to get to LDS ?

Do you know how long it takes to get the right fill for double 130CFs?

Hey Kid...You are reading the posts from all over the world, not your small village... :wink:

If you're doing dives that require double 130s you should be planning time to get them filled.

fishb0y:
If you're doing dives that require double 130s you should be planning time to get them filled.

Sure. But, there are always time and travel contraints depending your diving environment and locations.

For example, if you have to make 3 hrs trips to get the right nitrox fill on site and if you have to wait for about 2 hrs to get the right fill. Otherwise, you have to make 6 hrs trips to leave and pick up the tanks later. What do you think? That is, he can't generalize that it is only time management matter. Yes, I prefer water fill with this reason.

I would venture to say that a vast majority of people are within an hour or less of their LDS.

fishb0y:
I would venture to say that a vast majority of people are within an hour or less of their LDS.

Hahaha..... I hope so..... You are one of lucky divers in the diving friendly place :wink:

I'm about done with this thread.

what I KNOW is my tank had almost 4000 psi at start of dive.

"they said something to effect that tank was dry filled, then cooled to hit the 3400 psi target"

this shop (distributer for worthington tanks) does a lot of technical training.... and seems to have a strong customer base... based on locaton, and customer traffic. (remote location, high volume)

If I was a cave diver, I'd go there to get a lot of air, and screw the life of the tank.

but thanks for answering my question.... which was is dry fill ok: YES.

and is overfilling ok: NO.

thanks guys!

Yeh , Yeh, Yeh,... so many cyber divers with 100 more cyber dives then actual dives.

I like to scan this while building lures, dove two sites yesterday, This week will be good for Reds in the bay, if the rain breaks.

Most sites, boats etc have fill station, why are you not getting your tanks filled after the dive at the site, boat or dock shop?

SparticleBrane:
Hmm..
IMHO, a water bath is ridiculous. Filling the tanks slower should be the only prescription. If someone is in a rush it means that their time mangement sucks--and they have other problems that you can't solve at that point.

Back in the 70s I used to spend the weekends of my youth filling tanks and washing rental gear at a local dive shop in Monterey. There were weekends where I would be filling tanks all day long. Most of the dive classes (from all over central California) brought their cylinders to our shop for refills. They wanted to get in and out as fast as they could. If you brought your tank in behind one of the classes you would have to wait in line. Nobody wants to spend an hour at a dive shop waiting for their tank to get filled.

By the time I quit working at the shop we had a very large compressor, large storage tanks, and a booster pump. I could fill a tank about as fast as you would want. We used a steel tank surrounded by concrete filled with water and we could fill 8 tanks at a time. In terms of the amount of time it took to fill a tank it was a judgement call. I guess each set took about 5 minutes to fill. Standard practice at the shop was to overfill by about 200 psi. I had few complaints about underfills. I can't speak to what effect this had on the life of the tank.

I understand the theory of getting water in the tank from wet fills but in practice none of our rental tanks had a problem with rust.

As far as painting the tank I don't know what is the problem. We, myself and most of the divers I knew at the time, would spray paint some portion of our steel 70s so we could differentiate them from everybody elses tank. At the dive shop we would paint the shop name and a number on the tank to identify the rentals. What's the problem?

Where are you located? I hope you will dive in somewhere you have never dived before in future, such as some lakes and quarries in mid-west. Many places DO NOT have a fill station or shop monkeies leave early.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom