Dry Fill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKris:
Yeh , Yeh, Yeh,... so many cyber divers with 100 more cyber dives then actual dives.

I like to scan this while building lures, dove two sites yesterday, This week will be good for Reds in the bay, if the rain breaks.

Most sites, boats etc have fill station, why are you not getting your tanks filled after the dive at the site, boat or dock shop?

I don't know about most sites but I dive places that are hundreds of miles away from anyplace that I can get a fill on the weekend when I'm diving. I dive trimix at sites that are hundreds of miles away from anyplace where you can get trimix at any time. Boat? Dock? Shop? HA!

I'm sure that in Florida there's a fill station running 7 days/week on about every corner but it isn't that way in much of the rest of the world.

So yes, I suppose there is cyber diving. Then of course there is tourist diving in tourist areas...and then there is other kind of diving in other kinds of places where you're on your own and you carry what you need.

I am sure that filling tanks underwater is much safer.
The sides of the bath only have to hold up long enough to direct the majority of the force of the explosion upwards and not out in to work space.

From this link http://www.napsd.com/cscuba.htm

Due to a safety water tub that Chris had lowered the scuba tank into, most of the damage was confined to the roof and ceiling area although there were several windows blown out, torn metal, etc. The shop was, in fact, open for business the next day - minus their filling equipment which was destroyed in the blast.

Ironically, the customer who owned the tanks and another employee (Paul) were standing less than six feet away from the tank when it suddenly exploded. Paul was blown about 20 feet backwards through the air, but was not seriously hurt. The blast from the explosion propelled another scuba tank right past Paul's head - luckily missing him. The customer was blown across a cluster of filled tanks and into a steel rail, but sustained only minor injuries.

The explosion was roughly equivalent to several sticks of dynamite. According to one scuba tank inspection expert, "The explosive potential in a fully charged 80cf aluminum SCUBA cylinder is approximately 1,300,000 foot pounds -- enough to lift a typical fire department hook-and-ladder truck over 60 feet in the air!", stated by A. Dale Fox on his web page.

There is a picture of the filling station and the safety tank, which in this case looks to be a simple metal bath tub. An explosion of this size without the water bath would have destroyed the structure of the building.

My thoughts go out to Chris who was badly injured. However we can all learn from what happened.

Maybe an explosives expert can come in at this point and explain how you can direct explosions.

Here is what happens when they explode when not in a tank of water.
http://www.scubabomb.freeservers.com/Scubadag.htm

A scuba tank made from aluminum alloy 5283 exploded while sitting inside his garage. The explosion nearly flattened out the garage and everything in it! His 16" winter tires and other things were blown through the walls leaving large holes behind. Fortunately nobody was present.

The back wall of the garage was almost completely gone. Other diving equipment stored along with this bottle was transformed into small bits and pieces. Today, Mr. Deberitz is thankful that nobody was nearby to get injured in the blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom