Drug Violence near Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last time we went to Akumal the prices in all the restaurants had gone up by at least 33%. I realize that they have fixed costs and fewer patrons to bear the burden, but give me a break. I know that an 8 pack of Fudd hot dogs is 8-9 pesos and all they get by charging 60 pesos is an angry customer who is not very likely to return.

Trust me on this one, there is no comparison with what is going on along the border to what is happening around Cancun.

Sorry the prices didn't just go up.

I haven't shopped at the Super Chomak in Akumal for 6 years. They tried to charge me 55 pesos for a 3 day old muffin. I still won't go in there.

Sorry if I left that impression that there were recent price increases. I should have added that the last time we hit Akumal was in '08.

I agree with you about the Super Chomak, they are a bit too proud of their products.

12 More bodies found in cenotes near cancun:

Cancun police find 12 decomposing inside caverns - Yahoo! News

Seattle, by comparison, had 22 homicides all last year with the distribution of months having 0 to 4 homicides, in a population roughly 50% larger (600,000 in Seattle proper vs. 450,000 in cancun). While we see drug-related homicides in Seattle, we haven't seen any mass executions that I can remember.

There definitely is an uptick in violence in Q. Roo around Cancun, and its more frequent than my hometown. Its still within the variance seen in the United States (New Orleans at 55 homicides per 100,000 probably has a higher homicide rate than Cancun) and isn't near the violence seen in border towns, but I think this still bears monitoring.

Just read the story in the Por Esto. Some of the deceased have been identified, at least two of them were from the state of Guerrero, on the Pacific Coast. It seems the investigators have an idea of who the other victims are, and that they were "abducted" by the Zetas several weeks ago.
Want to point out another mistake in the Yahoo article : according to the autopsy, the bodies found earlier this month hadn't had their hearts removed and had been cut up after the death.
9 people, members of a Zeta cell, have been arrested. It is believed they are responsible for the abduction and execution of 26 people (including those mentionned above and police officers) in the past 2 months.

Man, it seems for everyone on various forums warning members not go vacation in MX due to drug violence, there is a counterpoint from someone else saying Cancun is pretty much free from the violence since it really doesn't have much value for the cartels, and that Cancun and especially Cozumel are quite safe.

So I ventured there alone last november. Seems many people were right about senseless drug violence around there :(

Man, it seems for everyone on various forums warning members not go vacation in MX due to drug violence, there is a counterpoint from someone else saying Cancun is pretty much free from the violence since it really doesn't have much value for the cartels, and that Cancun and especially Cozumel are quite safe.

So I ventured there alone last november. Seems many people were right about senseless drug violence around there :(
They were right how?

I've been one to suggest that Cancun and Cozumel were going to remain safe, but I am starting to question those thots. Juarez used to be a popular tourist town, even tho it was not developed by the Mexican Feds like Cancun specifically for tourism. I remember when it was relatively safe for school kids to go there to party; no way I would cross that bridge in daylight now.

Happened in Juarez recently Mexican officials: Mayor of Guadalupe killed by gunmen - CNN.com

They were right how?

according to the above articles and the many bodies found around cancun.....

Those are more than I found when I researched before going on my trip there last fall :x

according to the above articles and the many bodies found around cancun.....

Those are more than I found when I researched before going on my trip there last fall :x

But what was YOUR experience there ? Did you feel unsafe ? Were you victim of a crime ?

Back
Top Bottom