Drug Violence near Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knowing the huge slants that most US news sources have in their articles :rolleyes: , this could mean anything from "these were drug dealers high on meth", or "these informants were given medication to keep them alive while being tortured", to "these were 18 year old female americans on vacation who were drugged with roofies and raped/murdered"

Without more information, who knows what actually happened.

Yes, I am very aware of the new bias in the USA. In the end of the analysis, all that matters is, dead is dead...

Dead innocent tourists, and dead rival cartel members are 2 completely different things :wink:

Knowing the huge slants that most US news sources have in their articles :rolleyes: , this could mean anything from "these were drug dealers high on meth", or "these informants were given medication to keep them alive while being tortured", to "these were 18 year old female americans on vacation who were drugged with roofies and raped/murdered"

Without more information, who knows what actually happened.

I'm still patiently waiting to read a report of a scuba accident/fatality in the newspaper that doesn't reference the victim's "oxygen tanks". Its safe to assume that most of the minor details in any newspaper report are probably wrong. I doubt we'd be hearing about 6 to 12 bodies murdered in a cave near Cancun unless that really happened though, and I'd assume they were all involved in the drug trade because that's the common case everywhere in the world (relatives kill relatives, drug dealers kill drug dealers, etc).

I think we can safely rule out the 18 year old female Americans being raped and murdered, however, because that would be a Fox News wet dream and we'd never stop hearing about it (unless they were all not white and not photogenic).

The only tourist that I've read about being killed in Cancun recently has her husband as the prime suspect.

I think we can safely rule out the 18 year old female Americans being raped and murdered, however, because that would be a Fox News wet dream and we'd never stop hearing about it (unless they were all not white and not photogenic).

The story had "legs" as they say with Fox as Southerners do not watch MSNBC. :wink:

I was down last August and was downtown with some of the locals. Never felt endangered at all at Pescaditos or La Playita. Planning on the end of October for my buddy's wedding in PM and a week of diving.

While I understand what Lamont is saying, if the money laundering is occuring in high volumes, it would behoove the cartels to not mess with Cancun. The money gets recirculated faster with the higher volume of touristas. But the Solomon theory is still a valid concern.

I'm not concerned about it until tourists start ending up in the caves, except with tanks on....

I would not be very concerned about the drug violence outside of the resort cities. IF you have a trip to Juarez, or TJ, then I would be more cautious. Think of it like Vegas in the 1960s. Did you know that during the 60s the safest place for a mobster with a contract on his life was Vegas? This is because the various families agreed it would be more profitable to keep it safe. Granted, they would lure the mark out of the city and into the desert. Hope that helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom