Kidnapped Mexican police commander found beheaded in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martincohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The beheaded body of a top law enforcement officer in Mexico was found Sunday -- four days after he was kidnapped, tortured and killed by cartel gunmen in Cancun.

Investigators found the decapitated body of Jose Antonio Archi Yama, commander of the Quintana Roo State Police, wrapped in a gray and red sheet about 6 feet from the side of the road.

His head was in a black bag nearby.

Kidnapped Mexican police commander found beheaded in Cancun

Wow! The article says he worked in Playa del Carmen. Hope the Mayan Riviera _ Q. Roo doesn't go the way of some other Mexican states.

Not a good advertisement for tourism to Cancun. I get that a lot of drug-related violence may be between gangs, gangs and police, etc..., not targeting tourists, but to people in the U.S., it sounds like Mexican drug cartels with machetes are lopping off heads again.

Appearances sometimes trump reality where marketing is combined, and this looks bad.

Richard.

Have to say sadly that we scratched Mexico off the list many years ago. It is a shame, it’s a beautiful country. However, civil unrest, juntas, and the like are one thing. Drug cartels and the nasty and desperate low lifes that come along with them are outside my comfort zone. My heart goes out to his loved ones. A brave man and a good cop.

This is so outrageous. The Mexican government has to know where the narcos live. They know where the mansions behind the walls are, with the black SUVs going in and out. And Mexico has an air force, and they have F-5s, which could strike those compounds. Should've happened long ago. Should be a weekly occurrence.

This is so outrageous. The Mexican government has to know where the narcos live. They know where the mansions behind the walls are, with the black SUVs going in and out. And Mexico has an air force, and they have F-5s, which could strike those compounds. Should've happened long ago. Should be a weekly occurrence.

Easy answer. All of 1 word...

Corruption

I was in PV this past July. Got to talking about the cops, crime, etc. with the owner of the DO. When I asked him about the cops and crime issues he just laughed. He said the cops don't manage crime, the cartels do!

The only reason things usually run so smooth is that the cartels want the tourists spending all their money in all the legit and not so legit businesses they own. Think $$$ laundering etc. Plus they have to spend all the $$$ they make somewhere.

He said the only times there are any big problems is when the cartel has a problem with someone. And you see how those problems get handled.

Most of the money gets washed in places like Delaware. You couldn’t pay me to go back even though we had such happy memories. They have already lost many of the big ticket tourist groups in the form of corporate incentive groups, international trade shows etc. Guess who’s on the menu now? You have a target on your back if you look like you have more than pocket change and a family.

Back
Top Bottom