Kidnapped Mexican police commander found beheaded in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is so outrageous. The Mexican government has to know where the narcos live. They know where the mansions behind the walls are, with the black SUVs going in and out. And Mexico has an air force, and they have F-5s, which could strike those compounds. Should've happened long ago. Should be a weekly occurrence.
Oh, they know...

Where do all the drugs go and who is the biggest customer that’s keeping them in business?
Dunno. I do know where they aren't going and who isn't using them. And I know whose finger is responsible for pulling any given trigger.

USA,USA,USA!
There ya go.
Druggies love their drugs and don't care where they come from or the trail of disaster they leave from seed (or lab) to end user.
Until we the US (biggest consumer of illicit drugs) controls our addiction there will always be someone glad to fill the demand.

OMG, I'm 15 minutes out of Philadelphia, lived in center city for six years, and spend a lot of time (in the wee hours) in New Jersey.

Screw Cancun, I'll continue to dive here where it is relatively safe.

There ya go.
Druggies love their drugs and don't care where they come from or the trail of disaster they leave from seed (or lab) to end user.
Until we the US (biggest consumer of illicit drugs) controls our addiction there will always be someone glad to fill the demand.

Actually the US is not the biggest consumer of illicit drugs. It may seem that way living there but according to UNODC, more than half of the estimated number of annual opiate users reside in Asia (58 per cent), almost one fifth in Europe (17 per cent), and one seventh in the Americas (15 per cent).

More than half of all cocaine users residein the Americas, mostly North America (34 per centof the global total), and almost one quarter reside in Europe, mostly in Western and Central Europe (about one fifth of the global total). Africa and, to a lesser extent, Asia and Oceania together may account for the remaining quarter of all cocaineusers, but there are significant error margins for theseestimates due to the lack of data in many countries in Africa and Asia.

So yes, the US is the largest market for cocaine consumption with Oceania a close second but far from the largest market of ALL illicit drugs

I'll play devils advocate.

I have a spanish co-worker who shows me troubling / unique news all the time from his country (Belize), and the surrounding area. They hardly ever make the US news because the cartels have warned American journalists not to report on the crime (or so he says). One might be series of beheadings, another might be 2 politicians got into an actual fight on live tv. He says it's very corrupt (obviously). He also said that 95% of the time you have to be in the game to get caught in the crossfire. His brothers wife was murdered, but he said she was mixed up in it.

I'm not saying that it's safe, but when's the last time you heard of a tourist (cash cow for them) getting beheaded? It's not good for business (just look at the Dominican Republic murders / deaths of US citizens).

I live just outside of Baltimore and it can be just as dangerous there as anywhere. Just like anywhere on this planet, there's places you can go in the city and there's places that you shouldn't.

I'm not saying the officer deserved what he got by any means, it's horrible and disgusting. But normally when something like that happens you had some skin in the game. I don't know anything about this man, prayers and condolences to his family and friends, I'm just talking statistics.

When I travel to other countries (except maybe Canada aye!, lol) I talk to the locals about do's and don'ts. I don't wear anything flashy while out, hide my money in a different place, watch my 6 and always try to be as unoffensive as possible (pretty much the same in Baltimore). It's not a guarantee, and take it with a grain of salt as I'm in my mid 30's so might be lacking the wisdom of some of you grey foxes around here:). I'm also the guy that'll fly the day after a plane crash because it's cheap, and what are the odds?

Just my 2psi.

I'll play devils advocate.

I have a spanish co-worker who shows me troubling / unique news all the time from his country (Belize), and the surrounding area. They hardly ever make the US news because the cartels have warned American journalists not to report on the crime (or so he says). One might be series of beheadings, another might be 2 politicians got into an actual fight on live tv. He says it's very corrupt (obviously). He also said that 95% of the time you have to be in the game to get caught in the crossfire. His brothers wife was murdered, but he said she was mixed up in it.

I'm not saying that it's safe, but when's the last time you heard of a tourist (cash cow for them) getting beheaded? It's not good for business (just look at the Dominican Republic murders / deaths of US citizens).

I live just outside of Baltimore and it can be just as dangerous there as anywhere. Just like anywhere on this planet, there's places you can go in the city and there's places that you shouldn't.

I'm not saying the officer deserved what he got by any means, it's horrible and disgusting. But normally when something like that happens you had some skin in the game. I don't know anything about this man, prayers and condolences to his family and friends, I'm just talking statistics.

When I travel to other countries (except maybe Canada aye!, lol) I talk to the locals about do's and don'ts. I don't wear anything flashy while out, hide my money in a different place, watch my 6 and always try to be as unoffensive as possible (pretty much the same in Baltimore). It's not a guarantee, and take it with a grain of salt as I'm in my mid 30's so might be lacking the wisdom of some of you grey foxes around here:). I'm also the guy that'll fly the day after a plane crash because it's cheap, and what are the odds?

Just my 2psi.

That statement has no basis in reality/fact. Politicians, police, etc. that are not on the take get killed in Mexico “on the reg.”

Why do you think the cops that are in the process of arresting someone down there have their faces covered for the cameras? It’s so that they aren’t identified on camera...to prevent them and/or their families from being killed in retaliation.

See what happens when an official gets into office on an anti-corruption platform. They get offed before they have a chance to sit down at their desk.

Cancun...we’re not talking about a place that’s relatively safe for tourists due to natural societal order (ex. Law enforcement). We’re talking about a place that you don’t become a victim of crime because a criminal organization has put out the word that it’s bad for business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom