Drowning in Lake Norman, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
So Rick, you mean like why do people continue to dive solo, and possibly even worse, solo on rebreathers?

That's a question mark at the end there kids.

For the same reasons people continue to dive and die buddy diving on open circuit?

Don't those facts include an analyisis of the the gas in the loop?

Which from most of the accident reports and rebreather threads I've read never seems to happen, due to either the mouthpiece being out of the divers mouth or the loop being flooded?

It just seems that we rarely ever have all the facts when it comes to accidents involving a diver on a rebreather.

Scuba:
For the same reasons people continue to dive and die buddy diving on open circuit?

Try again dude. Most deaths are defacto solo dives. But then some of us have a few Golden Rules :wink:

-------------

Thanks Mr. X. A bad link in the chain.

tedtim:
We did it a bit differently when I was training in the Canadian miltary. We had the masks in place with the hose disconnected from the oxygen and a plug to keep the line open. We did a similar type of test, with much the same results you indicated. Once we became non-responsive one of the chamber technicians would connect our house to the oxygen again and it was amazing how quickly we recovered. We got to watch others go through it so that we could also recognize when someone (a co-pilot) was becoming hypoxic.

One thing we did learn was that each person has a different set of symptoms that they can identify before becoming hypoxic. Mine are a tunneling of vision and a distinct feeling of heat in my forehead. I still recall this after some twenty-five years. Unfortunately, not everyone that could be put in a situation where hypoxia is a possibility has the chance to take this type of training. It is very insidious.

That actually sounds like a really good training exercise for someone learning a rebreather. Not underwater or in a military flight simulator, but maybe you could breathe through a mask while the instructor slowly drops the O2 level of the gas, until you experience hypoxia, learn how you respond, and learn how to recognize your own early symptoms.

I could be off base, as I don't know that much about rebreathers, but it sounds worthwile.

Well from what I hear the gentlemen in this accident was using a home made rb. That had been used before with no problems. But I have heard it was a health problem..I feel for his family and his dive buddies.

My condolences to the family and friends

Jackie Smith was one of the most knowledgeable divers that I had the privilege to work surface support for over the years. He knew his gear, rebreather and the capabilities of it. Jackie could talk to a new diver with patience just as well as a highly experienced one with thousands of dives. He worked with several teams of divers on Lake Jocassee in South Carolina to locate/map buildings and a bridge that were covered by the man made lake years ago. The depths of the dives were in excess of 300 feet with the water temps down in the high 30's-40's and often low visabilty. Jackie was always safety conscious about everyone and held up all diver's accomplishments as a shared prize among the family of the team present. He had so many goals in life, married to Lisa, restoring the lovely home, running his business, diving, inventing dive gear and connecting to so many people in the dive brotherhood which was a big part of his family. Everyone will miss him out on the saphire waters of Jocassee Lake; we have the knowledge that he is with us on future dives. Au cler de la mare.
My condolences to his family.
Love Liquid Blue
Samantha Swenson

I understand that everyone wants an answer as to what happened to Jackie. The results of the autopsy are not available yet. Jackie was one of my dearest friends. He was one of the two divers who were the first to dive 300' to Attakulla Lodge (my family's homestead) in August, 2004. I was priviledged to know him. I affectionately referred to Jackie as one of "my divers." The grief that many of us are feeling right now is almost unbearable. "Team Attakulla" will never be the same. The outpouring of love at his memorial service yesterday certainly spoke to what a fine person he was. He was deeply loved and respected. Anyone who knew him, knew that he was a meticulously careful diver. His equipment was in perfect working order. I do not feel at liberty to speculate as to what happened, except to say that everything points to a health cause totally unrelated to the dive. Just for the record, he was not diving any deeper than 60' (not 92') and was there to support another diver. Once autopsy results are in - and with the permission of his beautiful wife Lisa - I'm sure that the dive community will be notifed of the exact cause of death. I have video on my website of Jackie and the team. He will be remembered. Debbie

webediving:
I just think that is amazing the number of people who are quick to jump to conclusion having little or NO experience in the use of rebreathers. I think that making comments or remarks about a deceased Diver without complete knoledge of what hapened is not only irresponsible, but also disrespectfull to the divers family and to the people that knew him.

My deep condolecens to Family and Friends

Yes, we shouldn't jump to any conclusions about any diver's mishaps. Maybe he had a health issue. My condolences to his friends and family.

webediving:
Not trying to offend anyone here. I think that if we need to discuss RB training, death rate, OC and CC pros and con etc, a new thread should be opened. in the forum This area should be used to show respect to the Family and menbers of the diver and to keep us informed on this terrible accident. The callous comments and jokes should be conducted somewhere else!

T

Thank you for so eloquently expressing what I was unable to put into words.

Back
Top Bottom