Drowning in Lake Norman, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have a link to a news article about it?

Not trying to offend anyone here. I think that if we need to discuss RB training, death rate, OC and CC pros and con etc, a new thread should be opened. in the forum This area should be used to show respect to the Family and menbers of the diver and to keep us informed on this terrible accident. The callous comments and jokes should be conducted somewhere else!

T

Fish_Whisperer:
The effects of hypoxia were so subtle that 90% of the aviators in the room had no idea that they needed to put their mask on.

We did it a bit differently when I was training in the Canadian miltary. We had the masks in place with the hose disconnected from the oxygen and a plug to keep the line open. We did a similar type of test, with much the same results you indicated. Once we became non-responsive one of the chamber technicians would connect our house to the oxygen again and it was amazing how quickly we recovered. We got to watch others go through it so that we could also recognize when someone (a co-pilot) was becoming hypoxic.

One thing we did learn was that each person has a different set of symptoms that they can identify before becoming hypoxic. Mine are a tunneling of vision and a distinct feeling of heat in my forehead. I still recall this after some twenty-five years. Unfortunately, not everyone that could be put in a situation where hypoxia is a possibility has the chance to take this type of training. It is very insidious.

webediving:
Not trying to offend anyone here. I think that if we need to discuss RB training, death rate, OC and CC pros and con etc, a new thread should be opened. in the forum This area should be used to show respect to the Family and menbers of the diver and to keep us informed on this terrible accident. The callous comments and jokes should be conducted somewhere else!

T

The callous jokes should be left out...but the RB questions are on topic. From the sticky at the top of this forum:

"The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through accident analysis."

Protocol aside, my sincere condolences go out to his family and friends.

FrankF:
The callous jokes should be left out...but the RB questions are on topic. From the sticky at the top of this forum:

"The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through accident analysis."

Protocol aside, my sincere condolences go out to his family and friends.

Thanks Frank, but don you think that in order to analyse anything you should have all the Facts first? Then and only then you can make an intelligent analysis of what happened and how to avoid it in the future. I have not seen any hard facts yet! Only insensitive remarks from people who I think do not even have any idea on how rebreathers work and sudenly they are experts! Sorry but I had to let you know!

T

WaterDawg:
Does anyone have a link to a news article about it?
The little bit that was put in the local paper, the Charlotte Observer, didn't amount to more than a paragraph bundled with a story about another drowning at Lake Norman.
Here is the link if you want to go to it anyway,http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/13539212.htm

Very little is actually known at this time. A heart attack seems to be what most people believe right now.

Here is a link to the obituary for any one interested.
http://www.legacy.com/charlotte/DeathNotices.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=16210524

webediving:
Thanks Frank, but don you think that in order to analyse anything you should have all the Facts first?
The mishap investigator never has all the facts. Accident analysis has to use the facts that are available; it is almost always an iterative process, where theories formulated from available facts reveal more facts that eliminate some theories, support others and modify the rest. When there is a fatality the one set of facts that is never available is what the victim was thinking - which is why accident analysis just concerns itself with events - what the victim (and others) did, what broke etc., and how to avoid the same events in the future.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
The mishap investigator never has all the facts. Accident analysis has to use the facts that are available; it is almost always an iterative process, where theories formulated from available facts reveal more facts that eliminate some theories, support others and modify the rest. When there is a fatality the one set of facts that is never available is what the victim was thinking - which is why accident analysis just concerns itself with events - what the victim (and others) did, what broke etc., and how to avoid the same events in the future.
Rick

So Rick, you mean like why do people continue to dive solo, and possibly even worse, solo on rebreathers?

That's a question mark at the end there kids.

Scuba_Steve:
So Rick, you mean like why do people continue to dive solo, and possibly even worse, solo on rebreathers?

That's a question mark at the end there kids.

Diving solo would be a link in a chain of events. Diving solo does not kill but may play a significant factor should someone have a nasty event and no one is there to assist. A lot of technical divers do dive RB's solo and quite successfully at that (Olivier Isler). Sometimes not so successfully (David Shaw). Hard to say what is what, when the prime source of this event is yet unknown.

Back
Top Bottom