Driving over the summit on Hwy 17 after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I just did a dive to 200ft for 20 minutes with 55 minutes of deco yesterday then drove home via that very highway (I forgot about the 1800ft change in elevation) and well, I'm still here. :D Disclaimer: Your results may differ.

Just out of curiosity, what was your surface interval between the last dive and starting on Hwy 17 in Santa Cruz (which is a ways from Monterey)?

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2014 at 11:56 PM ----------

I calculated that it is 13 miles shorter for me in Saratoga to take 17 than to go on 101, so it does save me time.

I just checked Google Maps, and it shows that (for me) the distance is 7 or 8 miles shorter (depending on whether I go via 280 to 101 or go 101 all the way). Per Google, the travel time (at this hour of the night) is the same (though if I were to go via 280, it would be quicker than what Google calculates).

So it looks like I should plan to return via 101 (and maybe I should go that way too). I never considered using 101 before, having always gone over the hill via 17.

Thanks for all the replies.

Adel Taher had a second chamber built in Dahab / Egypt because he was seeing too many bent divers after a day trip including a return drive over an elevation of 650m.
Using an alternative route seems prudent, the other option would be to have a drink with your buddies and wait for 4 hours to clear pressure group I.

the other option would be to have a drink with your buddies

Non-alcoholic, I presume.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom