DRIS 1000 still best of this style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For the last few years I have been using a Dorcy Penetrator 220 with a Goodman handle (and another as backup) for my tropical night dives where I don't want to scare the marine life away, but if I were in the market for a replacement for just this kind of light--compact, just powerful enough to serve as a primary for reef night diving or to look into holes during the day, Goodman-compatible, and not over $100--is the DRIS 1000 still my best bet? By "still," I mean a year or two ago it received a lot of praise here if I recall. Obviously, not everyone will agree it's the best in its class. If you disagree, what others are comparable?

While I like the DRIS 1000 and do own one, it's on the large side. There are smaller lights now that are just as bright, and some even brighter, that have similar burn times and more than one setting, and are less than $100. In fact, I use my favorite as a mask light as well. That's how compact it is!

I love my DRIS 1000 but if there I something better out there please post a link as I am looking for a small backup light.

Not to turn this into a discussion about brightness measurements, but why is the SEAC R1 billed as 150 lumens, but the DRIS 1000 as "1000"? I know there are numerous threads discussing the significance of lumen ratings.

I have a hard time turning my DRIS lights on, especially with heavy gloves. I have small hands with a little bit of neurological weakness from a neck injury. Any tips to make them easier to turn?

I have a hard time turning my DRIS lights on, especially with heavy gloves. I have small hands with a little bit of neurological weakness from a neck injury. Any tips to make them easier to turn?

Make sure the o-rings get cleaned and lubed regularly. Get gloves that have something that provides traction, or add something like 3m 5200 on the finger tips to provide more traction.

The 3M stuff might be helpful. I just got some dry gloves, which is haven't tried,yet. I don't know if those will be better or worse than my 5mm gloves.
I'll try cleaning and luging the o-rings again. They're fairly new so they might just need a little more tlc.

Could you clarify what you are looking to improve compared to your Dorcy? As far as I can tell, it's a great backup - decent brightness, nice beam, and batteries last a long time. For tropical night dives most people recommend a light that's not too bright but has a wider angle (which should be great in clear water). DRIS might be both too bright for night life and the beam angle might be too narrow. (BTW, I don't own one, so I am basing it on youtube videos/online reviews).

I recently got a Hollis LED 3x adjustable beam light which might work great for you. It has about the same brightness as Dorcy, but beam angle goes from 8 to 31 degrees. Seems like that should be perfect for you. Tight beam for signaling, wide beam for critter watching. Dive Gear Express has it on sale for $49, which is an unbelievable deal (Diving Hand Held LED Lights - Dive Gear Express). I paid $69 last month, and they sold for $130-140 shortly before that. I am guessing Hollis might be discontinuing them, so DGE is clearing them out.

For the last few years I have been using a Dorcy Penetrator 220 with a Goodman handle (and another as backup) for my tropical night dives where I don't want to scare the marine life away, but if I were in the market for a replacement for just this kind of light--compact, just powerful enough to serve as a primary for reef night diving or to look into holes during the day, Goodman-compatible, and not over $100--is the DRIS 1000 still my best bet? By "still," I mean a year or two ago it received a lot of praise here if I recall. Obviously, not everyone will agree it's the best in its class. If you disagree, what others are comparable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom