• Yes

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • No, it will dehydrate you

Votes: 175 95.1%
  • Sure, if there is Pastis to put in!

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crawl79:
If this isn't a joke, please don't do it....This is taught in every Water Survival Course which any person working on the ocean should take.
Indeed.. And its even taught in many survival courses NOT aimed specifically for people thats on the sea, but on land..

salt water makes you throw up, and it can give you chemical burns of the mouth and osephagus.

Real life experience....

During the early to mid 90's I was involved in AMIO (ALIEN MIGRATION INTERDICTION OPERATIONS) when stationed with the USCG Cutter Confidence WMEC-619. This was when Castro let a flood of people leave and flee Cuba to head our way. Many of them were on simple rafts and what ever else that they could fabricate and make float. There were many that ended up needing acute medical attention after drinking sea water for a few days...

Picture a person severely dehydrated and bleeding out when and if they could urinate and bleeding out of the anus. There were a few (that I know of) that died from this.

So now the question is do you really want to drink seawater… I think not. If you are going to be around sea operations always carry a survival kit... that includes water.

Cheers,

Dwain

Hi all,

I'd like to thank the (few) ones who took the time to comment and answer, giving good explanations and remaining friendly, that is why i like SB.

For the other ones who think I'm joking, I think Mr Bombard was not joking when (right or wrong) he risked his life and actually survived drinking seawater crossing the Atlantic to help people surviving if lost in sea. So I did not joke about it and I think he should be respected for that.

For the ones who think I'm stupid, I reply that the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask, and if I would have advise people to do so without double checking, it would have been stupid. Instead I was not afraid to ask.

For the one who made a joke about a french quoting a french, please know that I really accept jokes about me and my nationality, but I enjoy it only when it is funny.

Cheers.

i wouldn't be surprised. he did ask about it nicely (i never thought for once he was joking or was being stupid). why can't people just answer a simple question without having to be so damn offensive?

and oh, before i forget, if i have a choice, id rather not drink salt water. but then, if there are other options, i do not think this question would have been brought up in the first place (e.g. obviously, you wouldnt insist drinking seawater if you have a nice gallon of fresh water with you when you get lost in the sea.lol.)

Does anyone have a small, reverse osmotic filter, that will fit in their jacket pocket? Is it possible?

-----

Mike.

rhadamantus:
i wouldn't be surprised. he did ask about it nicely (i never thought for once he was joking or was being stupid).
:blush: Thanx!

Midnight Star:
Does anyone have a small, reverse osmotic filter, that will fit in their jacket pocket? Is it possible?
They claim having the smalest in the world: www.katadyn.ch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom