Drill valve problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roseng

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For some time I try to practice the valve drill without success. I tried to raise the tanks still no luck. Probably due to age and back problems I cann't bend my armes too much. Is there a solution?

Are you having problems with side mount set up or ordinary set up?

For some time I try to practice the valve drill without success. I tried to raise the tanks still no luck. Probably due to age and back problems I cann't bend my armes too much. Is there a solution?

If you are already side-mount you should only have to reach back a slight bit and the valves will be easily accessible. You should not have to raise them. Do you have any photo's? That would help to diagnose your problem and provide some suggestions. Here are a couple of pic's that may help. As you see, my valves are within easy reach of my hands.

Attachments

• mark from side.JPG
    mark from side.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 85
  • mark cave 2.JPG
    mark cave 2.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 96
are you doing it in doubles or single tank, do you have any training or you just practice it by yourself? You do not need to have great flexibility to reach the valves on the back but there are few tricks that make reaching much easier

are you doing it in doubles or single tank, do you have any training or you just practice it by yourself? You do not need to have great flexibility to reach the valves on the back but there are few tricks that make reaching much easier

double tanks
I am practicing it with my instructor
please write your tricks

There are 2 important ones.
1st when you try to reach the side valves bring your elbow in , this will allow for the hand to be able to go further back and to the side. Many keep the elbow out when moving the hand back and this makes the reaching more difficult.
2nd keep the trim horizontal, arch your back and keep your head up against the isolator valve. This brings the valves closer. Many (including myself at the beginning tend to move the head down to free up the space for the arm and that moves the valves father away)

If you have trouble finding the isolator at first place your hand against the back of the head and move your head up, it will lead you to the isolator.

When you have proper trim, arch your back and keep your head up the valves are just there - very close just move your arm up bringing the elbow in and you will get it easily.

My wife in her 1 st dive in doubles where able to spin the valve with no previous training or stretching when she followed these recommendations.

Try this in a wetsuit first. If you dive a dry suit make sure the suit and the undersuit do not restrict the movements.

1. As noted above, tuck the elbow in.
2. Practice stretching, you get better at it.
3. If wearing a dry suit, adjust the underwear with your arms in a reaching for your valve position just before putting your arms in the dry suit itself, and then get the dry suit adjusted for the same positon before zipping up.
4. Some people have better luck reaching their valves if they trim slightly head down - gravity then tends to hold the tanks slightly closer to your head and hands.
5. Be sure the harness straps are not too tight - that will limit mobility and leave the tank valves in a more difficult to reach position. You should be able to get 3-4 finger widths between you and your shoulder straps.
6. Most people can reach the first stages. If you can do that, you can then walk your fingers outward to the valve knobs.

If all else fails, you can loosen the waist strap slightly to give you more slack in the harness to lets the tanks come up a bit, but if you have to do that, it usually indicates a problem somewhere else - harness too tight, tanks too low in the bands, tanks too low on the plate, etc.

Not sure why this is in the sidemount forum, but THIS is the best writeup I've ever seen on valve drills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom