Drifting diver rescued from Gulf of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No oxygen tank...
21477bplooney-tunes-wile-e-coyote.jpg

Yes, let's get back on topic.

Coonass? What's a coonass?

A resident of south Louisiana.

Coonass? What's a coonass?
Coonass, or Coon-ass, is an epithet used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity.

Although some Cajuns use the word in regard to themselves, other Cajuns view the term as an ethnic slur against the Cajun people, especially when used by non-Cajuns. Socioeconomic factors appear to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ethnic pride; whereas middle- and upper-class Cajuns are more likely to regard the term as insulting or degrading, even when used by fellow Cajuns in reference to themselves.[1]

Despite an effort by Cajun activists to stamp out the term, it can be found on T-shirts, hats, and bumper stickers throughout Acadiana, the 22-parish Cajun homeland in south Louisiana.[1]
What's a Cajun?

Cajuns (French: les Cadiens) are an ethnic group mainly living in Louisiana, consisting of the descendants of Acadian exiles and peoples of other ethnicities with whom the Acadians eventually intermarried on the semitropical frontier. Today, the Cajuns make up a significant portion of south Louisiana's population, and have exerted an enormous impact on the state's culture.[3]
What's an Acadian?

The Acadians (French: Acadiens) are the descendants of the 17th-century French colonists who settled in Acadia (located in the Canadian Maritime provinces — Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island — and some in the American state of Maine). Although today most of the Acadians and Québécois are francophone Canadians, Acadia was founded in a geographically separate region from Quebec ("Canada" at this time) leading to their two distinct cultures. The settlers whose descendants became Acadians did not necessarily all come from the same region in France. Those settlers also blended with the Mi'kmaq, a native tribe, and Acadians and their descendants are ethnically tied to these people. Acadian family names have come from many areas in France from the Maillets of Paris to the Leblancs of Normandy. Acadian families originated from various regions in France; for example the popular Acadian surname 'Melanson' has its roots in Brittany, and those with the surname 'Bastarache', 'Basque', can find their origin in the Basque Country which is in the region of France(www.acadian-cajun.com,www.acadian.org).

In the Great Expulsion of 1755, around 11000 Acadians were deported from Acadia under the direction of British colonial officers and New England legislators and militia; many later settled in Louisiana, where they became known as Cajuns. Later on many Acadians returned to the Maritime provinces of Canada, most specifically New Brunswick. During the British conquest of New France the French colony of Acadia was renamed Nova Scotia (meaning New Scotland).
And some of them take all that very seriously....

Oh, the Free Masons have additional comments. :cool:

I didn't konw.
All that is not commonly known even in the US. Coonass is a more localized term, and even tho I'm on the other side of a large state from Louisiana, I'm somewhat familiar with its usage. Cajun is the more proper term, but even in the US most just think about a style of cooking. The evolution of the culture from Europe to Canada to Louisiana is somewhat interesting even to some outsiders, but taken somewhat seriously by some Cajuns - and again, the Masons have some comments.

I garrontoldyou some oh dat food is mmmmmmm good

All that is not commonly known even in the US. Coonass is a more localized term, and even tho I'm on the other side of a large state from Louisiana, I'm somewhat familiar with its usage. Cajun is the more proper term, but even in the US most just think about a style of cooking. The evolution of the culture from Europe to Canada to Louisiana is somewhat interesting even to some outsiders, but taken somewhat seriously by some Cajuns - and again, the Masons have some comments.

HEY DANDY DON; That is close but like we cajuns say "not quite, chere"...it should be
"taken very seriously by all Cajuns"

:shakehead: Not quite PC:no

Please explain this charged adjective.

It's someone that won the NC in college football this past January---2 out of the last 4 years in fact..............GEAUX TI-GERS............(also, one that is kicking butts in SEC baseball....:))

It's someone that won the NC in college football this past January---2 out of the last 4 years in fact..............GEAUX TI-GERS............(also, one that is kicking butts in SEC baseball....:))

Thanks for your explanation.

The quality of the journalism was an inspiration.

Any cartoon artists here? I want that one of W.Coyote and the
ACME Oxygen tank. I'll find this Inst and get it to him.

LOL!!! You can catch my editorials in NewsWeek. LOL!!!

Okay, back on topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom