Dredge 3-24-7 Dive Report and a pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hit the water around 7AM from Boggy Point, heading out into the gulf. Darcy came down for the weekend and brought her friend Brian, who conveniently had a boat. Little 18' aluminum hull bayboat, which we thought would be seaworthy enough for the short trip out to the Dredge. Thankfully, we were correct :)

Beautiful day, started out in the low 60s(morning), lots of sunshine with some high clouds. Tides were coming in and the water looked clear. After a little boogering with my handheld GPS(we weren't using a bottomfinder - LOL) we made it onsite. Darcy took the anchor(which was tied off-ish to the anchorline). She tied off the end of the anchorline to a deadeye and tossed the anchor overboard. Hook didn't grab and she pulled in an empty rope - D'Oh! We circle back around to the site and I hop over after tossing my gear in the water. I gear up and the boat goes over the site, I apparently drifted ~150'ish in the current - D'Oh. I take a compass heading and descend to the sand and head off. 4 minutes into fighting a slight annoying current while towing a dive flag, I come up on the wreck with our anchor sitting no more than 6' off of it. Bottomfinders are for sissies. :14: I tie off the flag and head to the surface. We decide to keep the boat live and Darcy drops in the water. Lots of sheepshead and redfish. A few tropicals here and there, a big toadfish, and arrow crabs are hanging around the wreck. There is also a small jewfish, at about 50lbs hanging around and eventually seeking shelter underneath the little bit of remaining decking/superstructure. Also underneath is a couple of gags. Ones small, the other is legal - so I take it. Visibility was 20-30' and we hit a max depth of 30'. Our short dive lasted nearly 30 minutes before it was called due to water temps(mid-upper 60sF). We retrieved the anchor, while leaving a larger commercial charter sized anchor on the wreck. Took Brian and Darcy on a little tour of Perdido Bay afterwards. Despite the early adventures at the start of the dive, everyone seemed to have a great time and I came home with fresh fish.

Grouper308.jpg

I have a little 17.5 ft CC that could probably make that trip on the good days and would be happy to ferry a couple divers out in order to find the location. She needs a boarding ladder but is otherwise pretty much diver friendly. Let me know if you are interested Matt.

Mike

PS Thought I saw you and a couple other guys in Bahama Bob's Friday. Were you there for lunch?

photohikedive:
yes, there is hate and envy in the words that I am typing now.....

I'll probably have more to show off after today's dives :wink:

Port Tack:
I have a little 17.5 ft CC that could probably make that trip on the good days and would be happy to ferry a couple divers out in order to find the location. She needs a boarding ladder but is otherwise pretty much diver friendly. Let me know if you are interested Matt.

Mike

PS Thought I saw you and a couple other guys in Bahama Bob's Friday. Were you there for lunch?

Definately interested, just let me know of a weekend and we'll hope for small/flat seas.

I was in Gulfport working on Friday.

Sounds good. I work every other weekend (at work now) and we will plan a trip in the future. Might even run down to the old pier, weather permitting. I am thinking of taking a day and running slowly just outside the second sand bar using my bottom finder to look for interesting bumps.

Mike

Would be interesting to see whats out there - I hear of a few more shore divable wrecks, but no specific info :(

Nice fish friend sounded like a cool dive. Did you make it out to the barge?

tom wicker:
Nice fish friend sounded like a cool dive. Did you make it out to the barge?

Gulf got choppy, figured it'd be better to stay close. I got my fish, so I'm happy :)

photohikedive:
a sunburn, a beergut, and some sani naps from hooters, big deal

For the most part, you're right. And I hate you for it... I did stab a flounder with a knife and gave it to Kylepried. Full report later, including all the sheepshead I bounced off of and the flouder I totally missed completely :11doh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom