DR1 or ERDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The DR1 course is going to be given locally in mid June and I'm considering the course. I've also talked to a friend who is an ERDI instructor and team coordinator for another SAR team in NC and I have the opportunity to take some courses with him and his team in late summer. Just wanting advice on which classes are the best for preparation.

I've already started training with my team on lake exercises.

Thanks!
Mel

All of them ;^)

Gary D.

I want in!!! lol!! Im bored!!!! Find me a new hole to jump in that has water at the bottom of the hole.

Count me in.
-Chuck

I just finished the DR I course in Tahoe, CA. and it was a lot of fun, especially the scenarios. One of the biggest things that the instructors stressed was making sure you have strong basic scuba skills.

The main difference between the two classes is time. DR I is 24hrs and the ERDI is 32hrs. The course content is basically the same, except the ERDI class makes you do swim tests. This is according to their course syllabus, so if there are other differences someone chime in.

Thanks Andy, I want to take this class but our team is volunteer (with county funding) and at this time probably couldn't pay for us to take the class. Soo, that means we'll be shelling out the $350. for the weekend class. If I don't take the class then I'll be shelling out $200 the same weekend for a wreck diving trip with some dive buddies. If someone else from my teams takes it that weekend then I'll probably do it.

What kind of "scenarios" do you do?

Day One:
Lecture in the morning, follwed by pool exercises. We got to use AGA masks, practice search patterns, and do underwater body bagging. DRI has a nice bag, which the call the Body Recovery System.

Day Two:
Lecture in the morning, then we did some Point Last Scene scenarios. This is where you do witness interviews and try and gauge the best place to start looking. The trick is weeding out the uncredible witnesses and triangulating the position. They place a float out there attached to a rope. The class is divided into two groups, witnesses and interviewers. The interviewers go away and the witnesses are allowed to see where the buoy is, which is then submerged again. Then the interviwers come down and go to work. There is a reference swimmer out there who we direct to the spot and when we are ready, the instructor pops the buoy. It's a great exercise.

Day Three:
Search pattern drills using clay pidgeons in blackwater. Then we had a full blown scenario with multiple victims, which was run with the whole class. They had extras who were the witnesses, family members, and the media. It was a lot of fun.

So other than being fun, did you learn anything?

Gary D.

Well actually, yes. The whole point of me taking the course was to learn some basic techniques, get ideas for starting the team for my department, and network with other departments.

I believe that I accomplished my goals. I had a great chance to check out the equipment that other departments use, got information on their SOPs and SOGs, and picked the brains of the instructors. I also now have a good idea of the gear configuration that I am going to recommend to my chief.

However, I have decided that I am going to pursue more training myself, before starting the team. I would either like to take a Dive Rescue II course or do some training with another team who works along a river, since that is where we would do our diving. I am currently getting my scuba instructor through NAUI and may pursue an instructor level through DRI.

One major issue that I was able to discuss is the lack of interagency cooperation. It seems that Sheriffs and fire departments don't like to work together in many areas. Nobody was able to offer a solution to this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom