Dr. Samuel Miller, III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIP, Dr. Miller.

Salute to you for your enduring contributions to our lives.

You're a legend for sure and lived a life to be celebrated, honored and remembered often.

Thank you for sharing the news. I never met the man, but wish to pay my respects, RIP. From what I gather, his contributions to this community, to the California diving community, and to the diving community at large are without measure.

I hope that his family and the people close to him are making it through this OK, and come to find peace.

Sam was an important contributor to the article we wrote on teaching scuba while neutrally buoyant rather than on the knees. His contribution, as people might guess, focused on how scuba was taught from the beginning. In our research, we wanted to know when classes started to be taught on the knees, and Sam showed that students were on the knees or on their butts from the very beginning because there was no way to get neutrally buoyant then--not even wetsuits. That was one of the points of the original draft of the article--teaching on the knees was an unneeded relic of a time when teaching while neutral was not possible.

None of that made it into the published article because of the length of the article. It was still important because we had to get PADI to agree to publish it first, and I believe Sam's portion of the original draft was very much instrumental in achieving that goal.

Do you have a copy of the whole article with that content in it? Would love to read it, particularly in light of the point of this thread :(

The bittersweet of life.
If I hadn't j.oined scubaboard, I would have never known about Sam.
But I did join and I did enjoy his posts and extensive knowledge.
He has passed and I am sad but happy I encountered him here.
Peace to you and your's Sam

I... am... at a loss for words. While I never met Sam face to face, he was the closest thing to a traditional pen pal I ever had (except it was digital). My inbox will never be the same. Nor will SB. What a void we will have.

Aww crap.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

My next dive is for you, Sam.

Sam, may you rest in peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom