GOLD Plated JBL Spear Gun-- HELP !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
GOLD Plated JBL Spear Gun

HELP !

HISTORY

t was 1981 (38 years ago) Joseph Benjamin La Monica had been in the diving business for 25 years.

He had been very successful as a wet suit maker (Del Mar) a subcontractor producing a variety of items for all the major dive manufactures and the designer and manufacturer a unique and unequaled spear gun for Voit Rubber Company. Voit was acquired by Mares, who were located in Colorado at that time and Voit slowly disappeared from diving.
But the gun was still being marketed by Mares. After Mares made a sudden disappearance from the American market Joe purchased the rights to his magnificent spear gun and began marketing it as the JBL line of spear guns. He soon became one of the worlds major manufactures of spear guns.

In 1981 Joe had been in the diving manufacturing business since 1956 - 25 years and he had prospered. He wanted something to unique share with his friends, customers ,and selected diving personalities this milestone

Joe, his sales manager Ron Prevelka and senior JBL official Mike Thornhill put their thinking caps on and determined it should be a serialized gold plated spear gun. A presentation heir loom gun like no other and there has never been another Gold Plated Presentation Spear Gun It would be the very popular and never equaled the "Sawed off Magnum"

It was 1981 therefore 81 "Sawed off Magnums" were hand selected. The handles and muzzles were polished to absolute perfection, serialized and Gold plated. The barrel and balance bars were also hand selected highly polished and coated with a special high luster hard black finish.
After the guns were very careful inspection by Joe Lamonica approximately 20 of the guns were rejected and destroyed. Consequently only 61 guns were available for presentation

Then they were carefully assembled in to compered guns and packaged in presentation cases

The first seven were given to family members and key JBL personnel . Joe , of course received gun number one, (1) Ron Prevelka received gun number seven (7). I was honored and privileged to receive gun number eight, (8) the very first gun presented out side of the company. The other 53 or so were presented to the top JBL dealers throughout the world and selected diving personages in the US.

With Joe's demise, the passage of time, 38 years, and the company being acquired by Guy Skinner all the records of the JBL Gold Presentation spear guns has been lost.
The following guns are known to exist
Number 1 Joes family
Number 7 Ron Prevelka
Number 8 Sam Miller
Number 24 Sam Miller - A RCMP gift
Number unknown - Del Mar dive shop in Mesa Arizona

Number unknown - sold on e bay - over $1000- 15 years ago

QUESTIONS
1) Do any of the members frequent dive shops, quarries, charter operations that were prominent
in the diving business prior to 1981 that may own and or display a JBL Gold Spear gun ?

If so please provide the name of the shop, the original recipient and the serial number of the spear gun which is located on the bottom of the handle

2) Spear gun number 24 was stored for over 20 years in a cool damp environment. There is considerable damage to the gold plating which needs serious attention.

Any gold smiths who need a project or challenge ?
Amy one have access to some sort of a stripping device or suggested chemicals for stripping gold?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

Sam Miller, III

Some of you may recall the article I published in my dedicated column "The way it was" in the national dive magazine Discover Diving-- title "The man with the golden gun" .
IF you have a copy of the article please advise asap
sdm

sam stripping gold is easier than chrome it can be stripped in acid or caustic soda , gold plating is easy to get done my company did the Gemini awards in 24 k gold here in Canada still have a couple here in a display cabinet

FWIW, I will keep my eyes peeled for one in my travels.

Tangentially, Gold Plated Spear Gun - that is Sooooooooo 007 - I can see the dive scene in my mind with Bond being sport-hunted through the reef ...

@abnfrog Aka one of Gods frozen people

Hombre, (as we say in warner climates)

You always come through for me- and I appreciate it !

We. my panel of "local experts" have been discussing and cussing the Gold plating and how to remove it with out disturbing the very smooth handle which had been polished to a very high luster prior to gold plating. The gun maybe beyond saving-- time and a lots of input from people like you -- some where lies the answer …
Several thoughts … Could it have been possible that Phil Neuton has a Golden gun ? As I recall the Canadian Diver was published at that time by Peter Vasapopous { what ever happened to Peter ?} He may have received a Golden Gun

Stay warn winter is coming or maybe it has already arrived

thanks again for the input

SAM

Sam ,as a restorer of America muscle cars , NOTHING is beyond fixing its just a matter of time and money send me a pic maybe I can give you an option you haven't thought of pm me ill send my e mail

@abnfrog
Stated
"...., NOTHING is beyond fixing its just a matter of time and money send me a pic maybe I can give you an option you haven't thought of pm me ill send my e mail …"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will send a picture later

The gun is now at a local auto body shop owned by one of the very active local divers who is, like you, is one who does miracles with metal .

Than you so much for your concern

When Alex and Diana ( Peirce ) last visited about 6 months ago we sat down for 2 days and recorded several interviews centered around very old spear guns- a considerable amount of time was spent on the Golden Gun.

It seems he has stopped producing his programs.
I just might pick up where he left off

Thanks again

SAM

yes sam he took considerable heat for one of his posts (over blown in my opinion ) so im sure that had something to do with it

@abnfrog
Stated
"...., NOTHING is beyond fixing its just a matter of time and money send me a pic maybe I can give you an option you haven't thought of pm me ill send my e mail …"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will send a picture later

The gun is now at a local auto body shop owned by one of the very active local divers who is, like you, is one who does miracles with metal .

Than you so much for your concern

When Alex and Diana ( Peirce ) last visited about 6 months ago we sat down for 2 days and recorded several interviews centered around very old spear guns- a considerable amount of time was spent on the Golden Gun.

It seems he has stopped producing his programs.
I just might pick up where he left off

Thanks again

SAM

Looking forward to it. You will do it on YouTube I hope.

@abnfrog _@-JD- @Marie13
Interesting observation about the interest and longevity of SCUBA board divers ...
Post a question about a very rare 38 year old diving item and only a very divers read the post and even fewer few vintage divers respond.

Post a thread like @Marie13 13 about not having a vehicle to drive to a dive site and the world responds

I question - Is the board a dive related board ?

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom