Dr. Samuel Miller, III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear that. I spoke with him a few weeks ago. We changed ScubaBoard's logo to honor his contributions to ScubaBoard.

1660056687888.png

RIP Sam.

Sam Miller III: ScubaBoard's first "Scuba Legend"

So sad to hear this news. Like many of us, I only knew him from his ScubaBoard posts. I will miss those posts tremendously. My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Sam. I heard a little about LA County/SOCAL diving in the 1960's when I was getting certified and then teaching in Maryland. I only began to realize how monumental that program and those people were in the foundation of recreational diving when I joined SB and read Sam's posts.

100% enjoyed his knowledgeable posts here. Godspeed...

Sam had little patience for armchair scuba divers. I can't tell you how many of his posts we had to, um, edit. He ruffled more than a few feathers, but for the most part, when I explained reality to the butt-hurt user Sam had just schooled, they got it. He was a priceless commodity that we would not have for very long. I can't tell you how I wish we had hundreds more of his posts that we have to edit. I loved that curmudgeon.

One of the funniest, albeit tensest, phone calls I ever got was from Sam. Some "wet behind-the-ears moderator" (his words) had edited his post for being a sexual innuendo. What? Well, the problem was that the moderator (also deceased) was not a native English speaker and had no idea what a "puddle jumper" was so he Googled it. Yeah, he didn't come up with what we all know to be a small seaplane, but some whacko sexually deviant definition. OMG x1000!!! It was obvious that we had a "failure to communicate", and it took me soothing ruffled feathers on both sides. I always dread days like today.

And in some sort of perverse pleasure, I wonder what Google is going to make of the sudden interest in "puddle jumper" after this post.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but was lucky enough to get to speak to him on the phone a time or two. He was a hell of a guy, and I thought quite highly of him. Condolences.

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom