DPV class video - this doesn't seem right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Implies the OP was being disingenuous in asking the original question and had some sort of hidden agenda, possibly in concert with others having the same agenda.
Yes, they are disingenuous questions. It wasn't implied. I said that, twice. It's doesn't have to be an concert with anyone.
As I'm sure you already know berndo lives in his own little world and won't see things any other way. Exactly what you pointed out is exactly why I commented. But I guess it doesn't matter since we're "usual suspects".
Now I get to wait for a new ranting PM from him about how once again I'm wrong.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
I send you one DM in your repose to your BS claim that every person that's not a fanboy is hating and just doesn't know anything about them. I would have posted it but I was banned from your safe space.
I wish there was a forum where gue people can't post.
I kind of understand how noobs are easily hooked by good marketing bs and why they want to play white-knight online for their club/instructor. But I don't get how they got you (who should know better) to become a fanboy of some company.

I’m no fluid dynamicist but I’d wager a lot of money that increasing the distance between tower and towed increases drag compared to tucking in tight holding the crotch strap.

Why wouldn’t you want to be “fully slip streamed” in open water? If I have to tow my buddy back I really don’t want more drag than is necessary.

I don’t care if you want to use a handle but I think you should test some of your assertions about drag.
When taken in context to the methods I was replying to then yeah, it is more efficient. Hanging on the tank, off the to the side, hanging on a leg or fin which I see often enough, are all less efficient than directly in line. Shore diving OW gives plenty to see here while traversing to the planned area and you don't want to be in your buddy's ass for it. Some of you keep dithering about and forgetting this is rec NDL diving. Even a BT travel with 9AH batteries has plenty of juice for a 90 minute dive towing like this. Since w'ere using a scooter I can give a fụck less about overall drag, I only care about what affects my comfort while towing. The above mentioned transgressions result in pulling my spine out of alignment due to uneven drag pressure. That is the problem, not the load on my scooter. Put the dope on a rope so they can look about as they choose and have it pull directly in line with my harness crotch strap. You need to look at the big picture of rec diving and the purpose behind it. Fluid dynamics don't matter much when I have a machine to do the propulsion for me.

When taken in context to the methods I was replying to then yeah, it is more efficient. Hanging on the tank, off the to the side, hanging on a leg or fin which I see often enough, are all less efficient than directly in line. Shore diving OW gives plenty to see here while traversing to the planned area and you don't want to be in your buddy's ass for it. Some of you keep dithering about and forgetting this is rec NDL diving. Even a BT travel with 9AH batteries has plenty of juice for a 90 minute dive towing like this. Since w'ere using a scooter I can give a fụck less about overall drag, I only care about what affects my comfort while towing. The above mentioned transgressions result in pulling my spine out of alignment due to uneven drag pressure. That is the problem, not the load on my scooter. Put the dope on a rope so they can look about as they choose and have it pull directly in line with my harness crotch strap. You need to look at the big picture of rec diving and the purpose behind it. Fluid dynamics don't matter much when I have a machine to do the propulsion for me.

I don’t give a “**** less” about your “dithering”, your diving, or your tow rope; but if you make a flawed physics argument I’m gonna chime in.

I didn’t say anything about hanging off of a fin or a tank etc.

I didn’t say anything about NDL vs Tech but that is completely irrelevant to drag anyways.

Edit: I’m gonna straight up call BS on a blacktip with 9ah towing 2 divers for 90 minutes. Maybe on speed 1 or 2 but does that even count? FWIW, I own a blacktip and I’ve even shoe-horned the 15ah dewalts in there on occasion … so I am familiar with them. I’ve killed several of my buddies blacktips in a lot less than 90 minutes when they were trying to follow me (I was on my cuda) and they all had 12ah batteries.

I don’t give a “**** less” about your “dithering”, your diving, or your tow rope; but if you make a flawed physics argument I’m gonna chime in.

I didn’t say anything about hanging off of a fin or a tank etc.

I didn’t say anything about NDL vs Tech but that is completely irrelevant to drag anyways.
You're right, it was the others dithering about earlier in the discussion. It was relevant to the idiots in the video. Flawed physics, no. Flawed explanation for affect, yes. Dope on a rope is the arguably the best method for towing a second diver in OW when you're not concerned with absolute longevity of your dpv batteries and they may want to enjoy the run out/back. You can keep your head tucked between thighs and have your buddy do the same. I'll stay on the rope and look at the fish.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It's good to see threads that both generate excellent technical responses AND stir up our passions about our favorite sport.
Things have gotten a little bit edgy, but everyone has been pretty civil. Feathers are ruffled, but you have stayed on track. Good on you all!
Play the ball, not the man.
No general cleanup yet, but if we start, a whole lot of past valuable comments are going to disappear due to the ancillary sniping. Fair warning!

I'm surprised somebody has not yet told someone else to get their head out of their (buddy's) ass. Or maybe they have? LOL.

I ride an old scooter sometimes, but I'm sure I am doing it wrong. When I have a buddy w./o a scooter, I just tell them to grab the tank valve and hang on. I can pull them along for a few minutes, but it is very slow, incredibly annoying AND they always seem to ride me cockeyed and I am off balanced twisted and it becomes quite uncomfortable, amazingly fast. I don't offer a tow often.

I'm surprised somebody has not yet told someone else to get their head out of their (buddy's) ass. Or maybe they have? LOL.

I ride an old scooter sometimes, but I'm sure I am doing it wrong. When I have a buddy w./o a scooter, I just tell them to grab the tank valve and hang on. I can pull them along for a few minutes, but it is very slow, incredibly annoying AND they always seem to ride me cockeyed and I am off balanced twisted and it becomes quite uncomfortable, amazingly fast. I don't offer a tow often.
I addressed it a few times. See below
You can keep your head tucked between thighs and have your buddy do the same. I'll stay on the rope and look at the fish.
Being neck seal deep in your buddy's asshọle doesn't offer many good views.

as long as its fun

It's a bit bigger than a toy car dude, or a watch

IMG_0574a.jpg

You're going to have a problem getting that extracted at the emergency department.

IMG_0269a.jpg

Here's what happens if you open it up and shake it

Very cool video! The videographer and the subject must be very good divers. I don't think I would like moving that fast; I'd be so worried about getting caught in something.

Back
Top Bottom