Downtown Condo or Resort Row?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone- We're headed to Coz in October for our annual trip. In the past we've always stayed at the Residencia Reefs with pick up at the Secrets pier. This year we're considering staying downtown. If we do, we'd have to meet our DM at Caleta in the AM. I would be interested in hearing from folks who stay downtown.

One reason we're considering the switch is that we love the restaurants there but it's a bit of haul from the Residencia Reefs. I hate to drive downtown so my husband is typically the driver, limits his enjoyment of margaritas :).

We'll still need a car to get to and from the Marina. Also, most of the restaurants we like are back in the neighborhoods. Too far to walk if we get a condo closer to the water. I love the quiet of the Reefs and sitting on the balcony watching the water with a cup of coffee in the am. Not sure I'm ready to pull the string on downtown.

Thanks, in advance, for your input!

Hi Everyone- We're headed to Coz in October for our annual trip. In the past we've always stayed at the Residencia Reefs with pick up at the Secrets pier. This year we're considering staying downtown. If we do, we'd have to meet our DM at Caleta in the AM. I would be interested in hearing from folks who stay downtown.

One reason we're considering the switch is that we love the restaurants there but it's a bit of haul from the Residencia Reefs. I hate to drive downtown so my husband is typically the driver, limits his enjoyment of margaritas :).

We'll still need a car to get to and from the Marina. Also, most of the restaurants we like are back in the neighborhoods. Too far to walk if we get a condo closer to the water. I love the quiet of the Reefs and sitting on the balcony watching the water with a cup of coffee in the am. Not sure I'm ready to pull the string on downtown.

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
What do you need to drive for if you are staying in town?

Check out the highly rated Casa Mexicana in town and Tres Pelicanos dive center that offers courtesy transport to and from the marina right around the corner at the back of the block the Casa sits on. We've been staying at the Casa for 14 or 15 years now... Never needed a car, the massive free breakfast buffet at the Casa is legendary, and you're within walking distance or a $2 cab fare to every great dining establishment town has to offer. Staying in town, a car ends up being more of a hassle than a convenience. You just won't use it and for what you pay for it you can take taxi's all over town and the island. Last three years we've booked through 3P's via their dive and stay packages and selected the Casa - can't beat the combo price and I've sliced and diced our coz dive trips every which way for years. These days, I just tell 3P's when and that we want to stay at the Casa and everything is magically taken care of... Like Disney in Coz - just magical!

Best Delux Ocean View rooms at the Casa are on the 5th floor... rooms 501, 502, 503 & 504 that offer panoramic views of everything from the balconies... Here's a street level view looking up... 501 is to the left over to 504 on the right. Take a stroll around town as Coz is mapped at street level by Google.

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.508...R1jjZ_lKHFFsAqTAXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited:
The basic taxi fare to the Marina from downtown is $110 MXN or less than $6 USD each way and out to El Moro is less so with staying in town it is pretty easy to take cabs. Then new rate cards from last fall seems to have made the system more above board.

We stay at Casa Mexicana and love it. We're Leaving next Sunday. There was a similar post already on this subject (downtown to Caletta Marina travel) today

Downtown pier pick up or taxi to the marina?

We're not really Resort people and enjoy everything downtown has to offer. We dive with Aldora and they pick us up at their dock about a half a block away from CM. A cold Bohemia Obscura is just across the street when we get back.

October is incredible in Coz if you can plan to be there for October 31 and November 2 for Day of the Dead. Just an amazing time to be there and the entire island comes out to honor and remember their deceased loved ones. If we ever miss it again, something has gone horribly wrong in our lives. Even if I have to swim to Cozumel, I plan to be there.

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

This kind of funny. We are doing the opposite of you. After 10+ vacations in Cozumel, all staying downtown, this May we want to stay south for shorter boat rides and are staying at Residencias Reef.

Anyway, for downtown we usually stay at Suites Bahia, Casa Mexicana or Vista Del Mar. We dove with ops that picks up at the downtown pier.

Obviously you need to take over the driving. Click on deepsea21's link of the Casa. That should have you booking Residencia Reefs ASAP.

October is incredible in Coz if you can plan to be there for October 31 and November 2 for Day of the Dead. Just an amazing time to be there and the entire island comes out to honor and remember their deceased loved ones. If we ever miss it again, something has gone horribly wrong in our lives. Even if I have to swim to Cozumel, I plan to be there.

We always go the first week in October but this sounds really interesting. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom