Downtown Condo or Resort Row?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the great info! I hadn't considered how inexpensive taxis are in town. Anyone know how much it is to get to Coconuts on the east side?

We always dive with Alex Salas of Alex Adventures Cozumel. If it weren't for Alex I would have quit the sport. My first time in Coz was shortly after being certifiied. I panicked at the start of the dive and hyperventilated. Alex helped me through it, calmed me down and prevented me from bolting for the surface. I was scared and done. I wanted to get on the boat. Alex stayed with me and talked through the issue as we bobbed on the surface. When I was ready we descended together and I had a great dive! If I had gotten on that boat I don't think I would ever have dived again. I was so greatful for his guidance. I feel a real loyalty to him and wouldn't dive with anyone else.

Thanks again to all have responded!

Check out the highly rated Casa Mexicana in town and Tres Pelicanos dive center that offers courtesy transport to and from the marina right around the corner at the back of the block the Casa sits on. We've been staying at the Casa for 14 or 15 years now... Never needed a car, the massive free breakfast buffet at the Casa is legendary, and you're within walking distance or a $2 cab fare to every great dining establishment town has to offer. Staying in town, a car ends up being more of a hassle than a convenience. You just won't use it and for what you pay for it you can take taxi's all over town and the island. Last three years we've booked through 3P's via their dive and stay packages and selected the Casa - can't beat the combo price and I've sliced and diced our coz dive trips every which way for years. These days, I just tell 3P's when and that we want to stay at the Casa and everything is magically taken care of... Like Disney in Coz - just magical!

Best Delux Ocean View rooms at the Casa are on the 5th floor... rooms 501, 502, 503 & 504 that offer panoramic views of everything from the balconies... Here's a street level view looking up... 501 is to the left over to 504 on the right. Take a stroll around town as Coz is mapped at street level by Google.

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.508...R1jjZ_lKHFFsAqTAXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Thanks for the detail! I'll check it out.

Downtown is awesome. We bought our place (Hint, hint, see below) because we could walk to everything downtown easily. No worries on driving and parking. We do drive to the marina to meet Scuba with Alison, but after diving we like to grab lunch at Sky Reef or Money and we are right there with the car.

Hi Everyone- We're headed to Coz in October for our annual trip. In the past we've always stayed at the Residencia Reefs with pick up at the Secrets pier. This year we're considering staying downtown. If we do, we'd have to meet our DM at Caleta in the AM. I would be interested in hearing from folks who stay downtown.

One reason we're considering the switch is that we love the restaurants there but it's a bit of haul from the Residencia Reefs. I hate to drive downtown so my husband is typically the driver, limits his enjoyment of margaritas :).

We'll still need a car to get to and from the Marina. Also, most of the restaurants we like are back in the neighborhoods. Too far to walk if we get a condo closer to the water. I love the quiet of the Reefs and sitting on the balcony watching the water with a cup of coffee in the am. Not sure I'm ready to pull the string on downtown.

Thanks, in advance, for your input!

I always stay at Blue Angel. It is a nice compromise between in town and far south, as well as between a resort and a standalone hotel. It's far enough from town to be free of the cruise ship crowds but close enough that cab rides are cheap to all the restaurants. They have their own dock and dive shop on the premises so the boats pick up and drop off there - there is no need to cab it to the marina, and signing up for dives is as simple as walking over to the shop and putting your name on the list. The restaurant there is very good, so you could take all your meals there if you wanted to. The property is delightful; the pool and the open air lobby are great places to hang out and the rooms are clean and spacious, if a little bit rustic. There are only 22 rooms and it's pretty popular, so the only downside is that most times of the year you must book well in advance; we pencil in our reservations a year ahead.

I have been staying there for decades (through five owners and as many name changes) and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. My group (The Thundering Herd) will be there again in about 6 weeks. I can't wait! :D

Last edited:
We're in the complex, as I write this post, where cvchief owns his condo. It's a wonderful property; beautiful grounds, spacious units, fantastic pool, quiet, and 4 blocks from our dive op, Blue Magic.

They provide transportation to the marina (taxi at their expense), wash, dry your gear (all of it - including wetsuits), and have it packed and all ready to go on the boat the next day.

Thank you all for the great info! I hadn't considered how inexpensive taxis are in town. Anyone know how much it is to get to Coconuts on the east side?
Another option if not already mentioned is to rent a car for only a day or two to visit the east side or tour the island. We did this our first trip to the island. We did not use them but Isis rental is often recommended for this.

Downtown is awesome. We bought our place (Hint, hint, see below) because we could walk to everything downtown easily. No worries on driving and parking. We do drive to the marina to meet Scuba with Alison, but after diving we like to grab lunch at Sky Reef or Money and we are right there with the car.

Thanks CVChief- beautiful place but too large for the two of us. I'm trying to talk my adult kids into a trip with us. I've book marked your link.

Thanks CVChief- beautiful place but too large for the two of us. I'm trying to talk my adult kids into a trip with us. I've book marked your link.

It's just me and boss woman.:)

No, we don't need all the space, but the location and amenities, oh my!

Another option if not already mentioned is to rent a car for only a day or two to visit the east side or tour the island. We did this our first trip to the island. We did not use them but Isis rental is often recommended for this.
We used to do that but on our last 5 or 6 trips we have just hired a taxi van for the day. I got really tired of having to be the designated driver, and with ~8 of us pitching in (The Thundering Herd) it's not very expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom