Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
No, I was replying to a post that referred specifically to safety stops not deco stops. And, like Mike F. I carry all the gas I need and then some.

I think you're taking what we're saying the wrong way. Rather than a misguided self-confidence, it's a knowledge that things can occur that will prevent us from getting back to the line. So instead of relying on a tank we may not be able to get to, we bring all our gas with us, including contingency gas.

...I read you loud n' clear. For the very last time, this is it:

> I don't want you to rely on it...

> I want you to carry all the gas you normally would ( including contingency )...

> I want it there for you just in case you use up all that gas you would normally carry
( including contingency supply ) because your knee deep in the poop
( no, no more "what possible poop??" ) of some incident
that your planned gas supply ( including contingency ) could not carry you through.

> I want it for you because it's not hard for me to set up & even though it will likely
never be needed I'm a cautious sort of guy & like to stack the deck in my favour
AS MUCH AS IS REASONABLE...

> Thus I do not pitch a m.a.s.h. tent nor do I lease a huey, but I can set some extra
stuff below just in case of that really remote possibility of big poop happening...

My friend, this is one dead horse.

D.S.D.

Dan, you obviously don't see any downside to hanging a bottle and see only the possibility... no matter how remote... that it might be of benefit if the unforseeable should happen.

I, on the other hand, feel that there is definitely a downside to hanging a bottle in the mindset that I have observed it to impart to divers... and that outweighs the vanishingly small benefit of having it there for the unforeseeable.

I also differentiate between the unforseen and the unforseeable.

As for Rick's usage of a hang bottle that is, to my way of thinking an entirely different matter and makes sense for his application.

Dive-aholic:
No, I was replying to a post that referred specifically to safety stops not deco stops.
..snip..

Sorry, I re-read the original post and now saw where you were going with your answer.

Uncle Pug:
I, on the other hand, feel that there is definitely a downside to hanging a bottle in the mindset that I have observed it to impart to divers... and that outweighs the vanishingly small benefit of having it there for the unforeseeable.

So you are willing to dive with people that would change their behavior based upon knowing that a tank is hanging off the boat?

Charlie99:
So you are willing to dive with people that would change their behavior based upon knowing that a tank is hanging off the boat?
One of us must have made a typo Charlie. I don't understand how what I said would indicate that.

Uncle Pug:
For open water boat dives we take the gas we need for the dive with us since we can't guarantee that we will be able to get back to the hanging bottle.

Hanging a bottle sets the divers up psychologically to consider that as part of their gas resource and thus can influence decision making.

That is my reasoning.
I must have taken this out of context. Sorry. :bonk:

DeepSeaDan:
...I read you loud n' clear. For the very last time, this is it:

> I don't want you to rely on it...

> I want you to carry all the gas you normally would ( including contingency )...

> I want it there for you just in case you use up all that gas you would normally carry
( including contingency supply ) because your knee deep in the poop
( no, no more "what possible poop??" ) of some incident
that your planned gas supply ( including contingency ) could not carry you through.

> I want it for you because it's not hard for me to set up & even though it will likely
never be needed I'm a cautious sort of guy & like to stack the deck in my favour
AS MUCH AS IS REASONABLE...

> Thus I do not pitch a m.a.s.h. tent nor do I lease a huey, but I can set some extra
stuff below just in case of that really remote possibility of big poop happening...

My friend, this is one dead horse.

D.S.D.

I'm tempted, but I'll let a dead horse lie...

No hard feelings...just a friendly discussion. :D

miketsp:
Sorry, I re-read the original post and now saw where you were going with your answer.

No problem. :wink:

Since not finding the line or having to come up someplace else is one of the main things we prepare ourselves for, the line seem a stupid place to leave your extra gas.

Uncle Pug:
Dan, you obviously don't see any downside to hanging a bottle and see only the possibility... no matter how remote... that it might be of benefit if the unforseeable should happen.

As for Rick's usage of a hang bottle that is, to my way of thinking an entirely different matter and makes sense for his application.

...If I go diving off your boat I can't bring my portable u/w compressor???

Back
Top Bottom